Rg To Jem Conversion

First of all, happy holidays everyone.

With the new year coming im starting a new project (even if the first one still not finished, LOL).

Im gonna convert a rg body and build a neck to make a jem inspired from the 777 DY (desert yellow).

i scored a beat up rg body and a birdseye pyramid fretboard and cosmo black tuner and a lopro copy in cosmo black.

still need some part but will buy when times come.

Started today by doing the monkey grip and jack output. :

2006_1227Image0008.jpg

Ive followed the excellent tutorial made by brian, the only difference is i used fortsner bit instead of hole saw or wood bit and was able to make the cut in one pass, no need to turn around the body at midpoint and the hole are dead straight. Also made the output jack with the fortsner bit and press drill, i need to make the cavity and plug the old jack hole.

Check out my album for more photo, more to come in the next days. ( friends photobucket password is swirls)

photobucket

Edited by swirlslave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im wondering what is the wood of my rg body, i thought it was basswood until i started the grip, now im not really sure anymore, the weight of the body sure feels like basswood but look at the picture down below of the inside of the handle, looks like maple maybe!

im by no means a wood expert so what do you guys think?

2006_1227Image0011.jpg

thanks for looking....

:D

Heres a little update,

output jack cavity is done but the ledge will be done when i will have the actual cover to make sure it fit perfectly, and the old jack has been plug.

from what i see in the cavity it seems like basswood, im suspecting there is a strip of maple in this body, but ill find out real soon cause im gonna sand to bare wood sometime soon so well see about this.......

Pickguard (mirror black) and truss rod cover(black) bought from evilbay yesterday so should come in very soon i hope. Some routing for the trem must be done and after the lion claw so a little bit of work still to do on this baby.

2006_1228Image0007.jpg

another pic

Edited by swirlslave

i would highly recommend using a heat gun to strip the finish off that thing, that poly finish can be a real pain in the ass to sand, i've stripped a couple using a heat gun, it goes way faster.

Thanks for the tip i will surely use a gun, it sure feels hard just from drilling and working on it.....

• 2 weeks later...

speaking of soft frets,

im thinking about putting some stainless steel fret on this one.

I would like your opinion, does it worth the hassle of working with those, and do you need some special tool or you can get away with it with normal tool for normal fret?

opinion from those who have experience with them would be appreciated.

thanks !

all in all its comming along well. Although to me the monkey grip seems a bit off like it might be too large, this may be due to the contrast in color between the bare wood grain and the black paint on the guitar... so I might be totally wrong.

but comming along well, keep it up.

most people on this site HIGHLY recommend AGAINST listening to any thing ed has to say as well! :D

but back on topic, that yellow will look cool, especially with a black swirl (your name is swirlslave after all!!)

cheers

darren

Edited by dash