Rg To Jem Conversion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forget everything you hear negativeabout ss frets...ed roman talks out of his butt.

i PERSONALLY switched to ss frets a couple of years ago,and i will never use nickel again.ss makes possible better vibrato and creates overall a slicker neck...and they just don't wear down like nickl.and believe nothng you hear about them "chewing through strings"...that is the biggest load of crap i ever heard.

strings actually last longer if anything because of the lower friction...but the truth is every string i ever break does so at the bridge...

and no...they do not sound "too bright"...

ss frets are the best thing to happen to guitars since the coming of the neck through...

pay extra attention to making the fretboard perfect before installing the frets,preradius the wire properly,and seat them well in clean,tight slots,and you will not even have to level them,so tooling does not even come into play...and beveling the ends?i use sandpaper and a sanding block made of hardwood(mahogany in this case)...it tears up sandpaper,but who cares...sadpaper is cheap.

\

what would you rather do...spend a little extra time prepping for ss,or relevel and re-dress frets ever year or so?

The stainless is extremely hard and makes the guitar sound brassy, too bright & in many cases will result in serious listening fatigue.

listening fatigue???oh come on ed,you just are not even trying anymore

Do it lochness green! What kind of paint are you using? Brand wise

sorry for the late reply,

rattle can paint from canadian tire, Armor coat brand, theres also a clear for this system but im gonna try if minwax polyurethane in a can is compatible.

check post #2 for the picture of the can.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

sorry folks, no update yet cause time is an issue these days.

BUT, i have a question for canadian fellow outhere, i was planning on buying my dimarzio pickups (PAF Pro or EVO) from brian over here, but i saw on his website that he cannot ship dimarzio outside the u.s., so anybody knows a cheap place to get dimarzio pickup in custom color (red for me) in canada or that will ship to canada.

Thanks.

sorry folks, no update yet cause time is an issue these days.

BUT, i have a question for canadian fellow outhere, i was planning on buying my dimarzio pickups (PAF Pro or EVO) from brian over here, but i saw on his website that he cannot ship dimarzio outside the u.s., so anybody knows a cheap place to get dimarzio pickup in custom color (red for me) in canada or that will ship to canada.

Thanks.

Unless you go to Steve's Music or Italmelodie, you're out of luck. On the net, the best prices I got were from USA eBay dealers but they're not supposed to ship to Canada. Some got caught and are no longer DiMarzio dealers. Try these guys:http://stores.ebay.ca/MusicLandCentral

• 4 months later...

ok, back from the grave, lol...

got some downtime and add a urge to work on one of my project guitar yesterday, so i decided to take off the fretboard on my ibanez neck.

Went pretty well, about an hour to remove with iron and steam, sanded down the headstock to bare wood and im at putting a piece of wood for the locking nut, the neck was a standard nut.

all in all im pretty glad it went well cause i was a bit scared of doing it.

2007_0605Image0080.jpg

thanks for looking.

alright, heres another little update.

two of the neck mounting screw holes has been plug cause they were badly damage and way oversized even thought the screw still hold in them but not much, theyre gonna be redrill tomorrow as well as sanding the plug flush.

2007_0608Image0003.jpg

also this neck had screwless tuner with two pin protuding on one side, and the tuner i got from ebay have screw and not those pin, so i decided to plug them as well but with a steel rod, drilled them 1/8 inch and plug them. i dont know maybe im in a eric johnson mood and think more weight = more sustain so thos plug will put an extra weight on the headstock LOL !!! :D

headstock

hopefully if i have time tomorrow i will glue the fretboard in and leave it still for the week-end.

stay tuned !!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

another quick update,

considerable progress has been made on the neck, fretboard is glued on, 2 ply binding (black/red), side marker dot, radius of the fretboard corrected to 16'' for matching my stewmac caul for fretting, nut area has been shimmed, etc, etc...

2007_0621Image0001.jpg

close-up shot

nut screw holes and fretting is next, then prep for finishing..

• 3 weeks later...

hey, sorry for the late update, i was on vacation.......

ok, the neck is now fretted and the frets end are flush and beveled.

im in the process of painting the headstock right now :

2007_0716Image0005.jpg

basecoat color is done, i think this baby is ready for clearcoating now. the pic is close to the real color but its much more vivid in person and in sunlight it just jump at you.

lets hope it continue to go well and i dont screw up !!!! :D

see ya !!