Deep, Bassy, Resonant Wood

On my current project, it's a deep set neck (all the way to the bridge) Maple neck with Ebony fretboard, 25" scale, with a chambered Mahogany body. The bridge will be a hard-tail with string-thru. This is my rebuild of a formerly neck-thru guitar (full-length Maple neck with Mahogany sides) that was too bright and tight sounding for my tastes (basically, like a 70's Les Paul Custom bright). I'm looking for something fatter, thicker, resonant, and heavier sounding (think Les Paul Standard). The Mahogany body is currently 1 1/2" thick and I'll be adding a 1/4" top. I know that tops that thin don't normally matter, but with the body being chambered by a large amount, I figure the top will influence the sound more than it would on an unchambered body.

So basically, I figure I need woods that have the opposite characteristics of Maple, which is the sound I'm trying to de-emphasiize.

Would it be best to just go with a Mahogany top or try something like Wenge, Walnut, Purpleheart, or Spruce that are known more for their bass and resonance?

I'm open to any suggestions and appearance. I just want it sound good.

I would look at your pickups first. You will have a lot more flexability to mod your sound and get you in the ballpark.

As far as woods go. Something with more resin or oil can tame your highs a bit. Rosewoods come to mind, maybe EIR as it is not a very stiff rosewood(Cocobolo is also mild in terms of stiffness). If your not wanting to go that direction a wood that has a lower stiffness like Big Leaf as opposed to hard maples will be warmer(the two maples are like two completely different woods really).

Woodnuts Rule! :D

Rich

On my current project, it's a deep set neck, all the way to the bridge, Maple neck with Ebony fretboard, 25" scale, with a chambered Mahogany body. The bridge will be a hard-tail with string-thru.
This is my rebuild of a formerly neck-thru guitar, full-length Maple neck with Mahogany sides.

I'm trying to understand you, are you building a new guitar based on an old guitar specs, or rebuilding the old one itself?

Maple neck with Ebony fretboard, 25" scale, with a chambered Mahogany body.

So basically, I figure I need woods that have the opposite characteristics of Maple, which is the sound I'm trying to de-emphasiize.

think Les Paul Standard

OK, this has been touched upon earlier in this thread, but I couldn’t really stop myself here. If you want the sound of a LP Standard, then build a LP standard! That means mahogany body, no chambers, maple top, mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard. It’s as simple as that and there is no other way. It always amazes me when people says "I would like build an all mahogany Tele with chambers but I want it to sound exactly like a swamp ash Tele with a one piece maple neck”. Can’t be done!

I don’t want to sound like some one telling you “only build with constructions and woods used before 1952”. I’m all in for a nice experiment and I like the use of “odd” woods and constructions. The thing is that you start out with very few things that to me say “Les Paul” and ask for advice when most things are set. An easy answer to you question of what can be done to get a more LP-ish sound is: Get rid of the ebony fretboard. Use rosewood. If that is a can’t-do, then you will have to live with the sound you get, which can be wonderful, but not very close to a LP. Next is the neck wood. Go for mahogany. If you are not willing/it’s not possible to substitute the neck and fretboard I’d say stay with an all mahogany body.

PS Drak, I think that he is making a re-make like they always do with the movies

I know, I know, it's definitely not going to sound like a Les Paul Standard. But that's the general direction. Gibson used maple necks with ebony fretboards on some of the LP Customs (see Zakk Wylde's) in the '70's, along with the mahogany/maple body, so if I'm ommitting the maple top and using Mahogany (or something warm and bassy sounding), then I'm getting close.

I'm only using the Maple neck because I had it for a few years (from before I knew much about different tone properties of wood) and had to do something with it. With it being Maple and Ebony, it's going to be bright regardless, but I know I want to do everything I can to combat that and try to tame the highs and make the tone more open and resonant.

Previously, when that neck was a full neck-thru (before I cut the body sides off), it was extremely bright and compressed. I'm hoping with less maple (technically, it's now a "deep set neck"), a thicker body of chambered mahogany, that it'll be smoother and more mellow, tone-wise.

I use high-output humbuckers and rather thick strings with a high-gain amp, so that helps with getting a pretty heavy tone. I've considered swapping in an Alnico 2 mag in the bridge to tame those highes and boost the mids.

The Walnut is an excellent suggestion, based on my experience, it and Wenge have a ton of bass, but still have clarity (which would be perfect).

Rosewood would also be good, I'd just need to find some wide and thick enough.

Now I've got some woods to think about. Any more suggestions from out there?

I remember discussing this with you a couple of months ago when I procured that beautiful piece of walnut from you. I went with the walnut as a compromise between the maple and the mahogany. Then again, I haven't used it yet!! But that's my theory! :D