Christmas Acoustic 2006

Howdy,

I like to try to build a project over my one week off around Christmas each year. I have been trying to keep a camera handy in my shop. This build is another jumbo cutoway. The top is Old Growth Redwood, and back/sides are Myrtle(a real favorite of mine). Neck is going to be Mahogany and Ebony fretboard. This is a link to the gallery-Gallery

The pictures are in order as I made progress. I will add more pics as I get time. If I find time I would like to try to assemble text to go with the pictures, but for now time is too short.

Peace,

Rich

Ron: He might use one of his top loaded bridges. I don't really know if he uses bridge plate for that.

Rich: Way cool. Add a few ore braces and you will come close to the smallman design :D

I can see that you are using an offset soundhole on this one. Any particular reason? I ask because I really think it is a great way of build a top that is strong and light at the same time. Please share the result with us.

Hey Rich

You should get a pat on the back for that introll...man nice work...on bending the cut away....dammm ....

still not sure were your going with the bridge plate?...so keep us posted ...I love to see it..

Ron. :D:D

Thanks Ron, The bend is really not that hard(I am pretty used to my bending machine). I normally am pretty conservative with my acoustics. However this is a design of my own(2nd time building it). Based on what I have observed from my first I am modifying this one(the first sounds pretty darn good though). The design does not use a bridge plate, and has a bridge of my own design. The backside of the top is sealed with shellac so I should not have differential moisture issues below the bridge. The top does not need additional support, and strings do not pass through the top. It is an odd ball,but trust me it will hold together just fine.

Godin- I dunno if that is good or bad B) . How is your acoustic coming along? I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you.

Peace,Rich

Nice work Rich. For the braces & their shaping, are you aiming for a certain mass for the top? Or just going on instinct/prior experience?

Hey Erik,

I am not so much aiming for a given mass. I am trying to brace the way I want it braced and shape so I get the tap I want(I suppose it is a mix of planned and shaped to feel). The top with bracing is sitting very close to 200 grams. The wight is more useful to help me target my bridge weight. @ 200 I want the brdge somewherein the 20-25gram range(just my #'s others may use different).

Peace,Rich

Hey Rich,

The project looks great so far! I just have two questions for ya (well three maybe :D ); What wood is the bracing (i'm assuming spruce or maple?), & what are the dimensions of them before you started to carve them? Also, the sidebenders you have look SWEET! Did you build them, or did you purchase them?

By the way, I see you got your daughter in on the luthier action, good deal. :D

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

Chris- I pretty much always use Sitka for my braces(nothing wrong with other woods, just my pref). Dim's on the top are odd(vs what would normally be used). I used 1/8" thick by 3/4" tall(thin and tall) normally 1/4" is closer to what I would use(and of course not quite that tall). This is certainly not a good example of a standard guitar. I am playing with the design and what have ya. The sidebender is my own making few years back(with a mod here and ther over the years). Definately a good thing to have around if you like bending sides.Yes, my daughter helps me with bracing and inlay.

Russ- I tell you I have just barged ahead with this project and have not even fired the new vaccume press. I do need to do that though because I want to use it on the bridge for sure.

Lance- Hey great to hear from you mister. You know we both dig the Myrtle baby :D .

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

how much does your average project cost you?

Odd Question... Hmm. If you are asking about all the materials for this guitar including hardware, under $100. No tool cost is figured in the mix. Or wages for my daughter :D

Peace,Rich

BTW: That number could go much higher depending on what woods and tuners I choose. I saw all my own wood so cost stays pretty low.

You make one darn sexy geeter, rich. I can honestly say that that's the best looking non-standard soundhole I've ever seen an acoustic. So have you begun to design about that hollowbody? I've got my plans almost completed. I also will be catching an early flight back home. Maybe I can actually do some more work on my acoustic.

What's going on with the neck? In this pic it looks like it's angled back relative to the soundboard. However, in the pics with the neck alone, it looks like it's meant to be angled up relative to the soundboard(edit: unless that's meant to compensate for the radiused top?). Also, why do you have it up so high off the body(to facilitate easy heel end truss rod adjustment without a traditional soundhole?)? Is this all part of your new bridge design master plan?

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

You make one darn sexy geeter, rich. I can honestly say that that's the best looking non-standard soundhole I've ever seen an acoustic. So have you begun to design about that hollowbody? I've got my plans almost completed. I also will be catching an early flight back home. Maybe I can actually do some more work on my acoustic.

What's going on with the neck? In this pic it looks like it's angled back relative to the soundboard. However, in the pics with the neck alone, it looks like it's meant to be angled up relative to the soundboard(edit: unless that's meant to compensate for the radiused top?). Also, why do you have it up so high off the body(to facilitate easy heel end truss rod adjustment without a traditional soundhole?)? Is this all part of your new bridge design master plan?

peace,

russ

Thanks Russ, I have started the drawing for the hollow. The neck is elevated and pitches down to the soundboard. It has a couple purposes. One is to give better clearance I prefer. The other has to do with the angle the strings pull at in relation to the arch. It does also improve clearance for the stop piece. Kinda odd ball design in many ways. It does work well though and feels good to play(as this is the second one of these I am putting together- I have a pretty good idea how these things work out.).

Peace,Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Jason- Thanks, I dunno if it is more work than a solid. A neck is a neck, body(less routing, more fitting(but thinner wood)... basicly pretty close. The details are where you can make it bigger or smaller(with either solid or acoustic). I enjoy building them though.

Lance- You know I am smart enough to admit Darci and Alyssa rule the roost.

Godin-

So what are you doing with it when it's done? Can I buy it?
. Well I am going to play it, and see if it sounds good. It is really to "prototype-ish" to sell. Maybe if the ones I build hold up well and I get good control over the design(in a year or two). I might start thinking about selling one, but that is down the road and nothing I want to think about now. I am looking forward to seeing how your project is coming along :D . As far as the jig for the bridge. That is just a check v.s. the height I am looking for on my bridge. A mark on a block and a straight edge to check it(not much to speak of, but ceratinly does what I need it to do).

I hope to get caught up at work and get back to it soon. More progress pics as soon as I do.

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

Jason- Thanks, I dunno if it is more work than a solid. A neck is a neck, body(less routing, more fitting(but thinner wood)... basicly pretty close. The details are where you can make it bigger or smaller(with either solid or acoustic). I enjoy building them though.

Lance- You know I am smart enough to admit Darci and Alyssa rule the roost.

Godin-

So what are you doing with it when it's done? Can I buy it?
. Well I am going to play it, and see if it sounds good. It is really to "prototype-ish" to sell. Maybe if the ones I build hold up well and I get good control over the design(in a year or two). I might start thinking about selling one, but that is down the road and nothing I want to think about now. I am looking forward to seeing how your project is coming along :D . As far as the jig for the bridge. That is just a check v.s. the height I am looking for on my bridge. A mark on a block and a straight edge to check it(not much to speak of, but ceratinly does what I need it to do).

I hope to get caught up at work and get back to it soon. More progress pics as soon as I do.

Peace,Rich

Yeah I was mostly joking about buying it (though I wouldnt mind having it around... :D )

Mine is coming along pretty good, I got the neck started. The box is mostly done, I just have to make the neck and fit it.