Why Is Everybody So Uptight About Sharing Templates

Why are internet folks so uptight about putting schematics, scales, and templates of common guitars up on the internet. Maybe I could see where somebody actually made a real-live template, you'd pay them for that. But there are not many pdf's of anything I'd personally be willing to buy.

It's not like it's a big secret. It's not like the people who are selling them actually OWN the designs. It's something you can find out anyway, but it would be easier to reference (like I find other info on the internet) on the web.

I guess this thread will rub somebody the wrong way... But I'm also guessing whomever it rubs the wrong way probably makes a couple buck of this.

Edited by bvalentine

Why are internet folks so uptight about putting schematics, scales, and templates of common guitars up on the internet.

They're not, which is why so many folks on here (myself included) have been able to built strats, teles, Les Paul's, SG's and many others without paying a penny for plans or wiring schematics.

They're not, which is why so many folks on here (myself included) have been able to built strats, teles, Les Paul's, SG's and many others without paying a penny for plans or wiring schematics.

Well, perhaps I did not dig deap enough in the "Search" feature. But I did look, and alot of people have posted topic like: "hey, I need a template for an xyz guitar" and then somebody will link something that you have to pay $10 to $15 dollars for. And everytime I type something in Google, I just get a bunch of places that want to sell you masonite cut outs.

Sorry. I'll keep trying.

If you're a donator here (doesn't HAVE to be monetary, you can also donate a template YOU'VE drawn, or a tutorial you've written to help members) you can get into the downloads section where there are other drawings and what not. There's another site like this that has TONS for free. Also, the MIMF, once you become a member (once again free) has a BAGILLION in their library.

Chris

If you're a donator here...

Yeah, I checked in to that because I think I've already have picked up more than $10 worth of information off of this message board. But then I saw where several people wrote things like "hey I paid my money a week ago and I still can't get in". Plus, I did'nt really see what I was looking for.

I might try that other resource you listed. It's just... building this guitar... man, things are really adding up (and I havent even cut in to the wood yet).

Whatever led you to believe guitar building is a cheap hobby has you grossly misinformed. This is just the start. It is a rewarding hobby but not an inexpensive one.

Alright. Whatever.

Hey dude I wasn't trying to be condecending or anything. I was just stating a fact. It is cheaper to go out and buy a guitar than build one. Just being honest thats all.

The main reason that people dont distribute this information freely is because someone, somewhere will always sell work which isn't their own.

Look at what happened a while ago, a load of freely available tutorials went up for sale on ebay.

Alright. Whatever.

rudeness will get you nowhere

I think I've already have picked up more than $10 worth of information off of this message board. But then I saw where several people wrote things like "hey I paid my money a week ago and I still can't get in". Plus, I did'nt really see what I was looking for.

thats because the addministrator is busy and those people probably made a non cash donation

and think the post office is an instant thing

and you did not see what you were looking for because the search function will not include the

download section

so if you have picked up more than the $10 worth of information why not donate

or are you one of those people who think why pay if its free and still complain they dont get enough

Well, perhaps I did not dig deap enough in the "Search" feature. But I did look, and alot of people have posted topic like: "hey, I need a template for an xyz guitar" and then somebody will link something that you have to pay $10 to $15 dollars for. And everytime I type something in Google, I just get a bunch of places that want to sell you masonite cut outs.

Instead of searching where to find templates you might want to search on HOW to make templates. I'm sure there's a few threads on the subject. Get yourself CorelDraw, Illustrator or CAD software and learn to do it yourself.

No closely guarded sectrets behind templates. If you are adept and precise enough you can build your own either from existing drawings or take the time to make your own measurements and draw from scratch. Thats only for making an instrument to someone elses predesigned specs. When you go original you pretty much have to make your own drawings/templates, its a good practice to get into. There are a few places where you can download free "drawings" but not attain free "templates". The drawings are to scale and in CAD format, get them printed out on a plotter and build what templates you need from those.

Here is the biggest selection of free online drawings I know of so far. If you don't find what you are looking for then you probably won't find it any where else..without paying for it. :D

whoah.... am I looking into a mirror???????

on a serious note just do what I did. Find a guitar body you like whether its your friends or one at the local/closest music store. Trace the body onto cardstock with a pencil. Transfer it to a piece of either particleboard or plywood and cut it out using a jigsaw,coping saw, bandsaw, etc.

And those people weren't added to the donated group after a week because face it. PGs webmaster is only human he has to probably work to feed himself and/or his wife and/or children and he probably also doesn't have alot of time to be online cuz hes probably too busy.

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

Whether there are alternate definitions or not, most people say "template" when they are referring to a physical object made from masonite, plexi, plywood, or whatever... that's why people are pointing "template enquiries" toward the guitarbuildingtemplates.com website. Otherwise, if it's a CAD drawing, they call it a "drawing" or "plans."

Don't get so upset about it... just learn the lingo. :D

Greg

QUOTE(bvalentine @ Dec 29 2006, 03:04 PM)

QUOTE(GuitarGuy @ Dec 29 2006, 12:47 PM)

Whatever led you to believe guitar building is a cheap hobby has you grossly misinformed. This is just the start. It is a rewarding hobby but not an inexpensive one.

Alright. Whatever.

I paid about $210 for almost all the parts to my super-strat-ish project (i still need to get some wire, knobs, and a few screws), and i got some ugly mahogany for free. it doesnt always have to be horribly expensive!

o yeah, and instead of copying some other design, I would recommend drawing your own templates. you dont need a cad program or anything, i have made about 10 designs using 4 pieces of white paper taped together. It actually works pretty good. Use the center connection line as the centerline, and if you want part of it to be symmetrical, fold the paper over, and rub across the line on the back of the paper to transfer the line to the other side

Edited by Kith

Geezz Louise...

Sorry guys, I did'nt mean to tick so many folks off. Sorry. I just did'nt understand and failed to make myself clear.

Yes I know how to make templates. The thing is, if I was just looking for one guitar in particular I would have just made my own or gladly pay the ebay dude for an already cut out template. What I was hoping for was to find a resources where I could scan through as many templates as possible, mix & match, and try to come up with something new.

It just seemed kind of odd that the vast world of the internet does not seem to have such a resource. Especially since certian more popular guitars have been in production steadly the last 40 years. I mean, I can look up my Chevy Nova and find diagrams of it.

Stratocaster, Les Paul, Telecaster, SG... these things are as common and Americana as Coke & Pepsi, McDonalds & Burger King. If you were to find out the formula for Coke and wanted 10 bucks from people to share it... then you'd get sued. But you could publish it freely and get away with it.

If some guy was to say: "hey, I have this diagram for an original guitar shape that I'm willing to sell" than I'd understand that. Or even if it was liscensed to factor specs.

I'm well aware that making guitars is not a cheap hobby, but personally I think it is way cheaper than many hobbies adult men endulge in. I believe I have most everything I "need" to build. I've been woodworking for the past 15 years, if it can be made out of wood..... I can figure out a way to do it. And I believe in working with what you got. Then, if you still can't do it... then buy a new toy.

So why don't I pay to use this forum? Well, probably because I've been on it less than a week. If I use it more, than perhaps I will decide donateing would be the right thing to do. I don't have a problem paying for information. I have 4 books on building guitars... I paid for those, but then again that was the initial agreement. Usually, online discussion groups are free.

I'm tired.. but, you know. i hope.

Geezz Louise...

Sorry guys, I did'nt mean to tick so many folks off. Sorry. I just did'nt understand and failed to make myself clear.

Yes I know how to make templates. The thing is, if I was just looking for one guitar in particular I would have just made my own or gladly pay the ebay dude for an already cut out template. What I was hoping for was to find a resources where I could scan through as many templates as possible, mix & match, and try to come up with something new.

Your first post was provocative and confrontational. Now you're surprised people didn't just say "Yes new poster who's been here for less than a month, you have provided us with wisdom our collective 4000+ membership did not have until you just posted this thread! Thank you for that contribution! "????? I mean, c'mon. Get a grip.

As for the topic of the thread, there are free plans available, and you don't have to donate anywhere. Check the MIMF, there is a library there (if you register - which is free) which contains a large number of plans for various instruments, original and existing. Also, guitarbuild.com has CAD diagrams for a number of instruments too. Between those sites off the top of my head that gives you around 100 different drawings to go from. What more do you need?

Oh, and next time, lurk a while on a forum before you post threads like these.

Edited by Supernova9

I paid about $210 for almost all the parts to my super-strat-ish project (i still need to get some wire, knobs, and a few screws), and i got some ugly mahogany for free. it doesnt always have to be horribly expensive!

...... and yet a squire bullet costs $100.... with free shipping......

Which brings up another topic.... why dont we all buy cheapo guitars and rape them for parts? Could use everything but the truss rod....

People are not meaning to insult, they are just warning you that it does cost significantly more to build your own than buy one.... We buy parts retail where as manufacturers buy bulk wholesale.....

Don't be a jerk, or no one here will help you. Your response will incline people to not help you.....

If you cant find a drawing or plan anywhere, the *OBVIOUS* thing to do, is the same as I did on my first build... and print a pic from the manufacturer website, go to kinkos and play with the "enlarge" button until it measures right.... In my case I only did this with the body, so looking at the specs from the manufacturer, I knew that the 24 fret was 2 1/4 wide... and kept playing until the I got that dimension on my copies. It cost all of about $3.50 or so.... If you cant figure this out.... maybe guitarbuilding is beyond you.... Maybe not... but hey, I decided to act like a jerk just like you.... but I even still tried to help....Sheesh