Douglas Fir Neck

Thanks, Melvyn and Jon! will keep your points in mind if i get down to building this - the purpose is only to serve as a learning build, and douglas fir is cheap.

Zctually Douglas Fir is not really cheap. It is more expensive than say hard Maple. One way or the other the cost difference will be a matter of a few dollars tops, and you shouldn't worry about cost as much as what wood you prefer for your project.

Peace,Rich

Thanks, Melvyn and Jon! will keep your points in mind if i get down to building this - the purpose is only to serve as a learning build, and douglas fir is cheap.

Zctually Douglas Fir is not really cheap. It is more expensive than say hard Maple. One way or the other the cost difference will be a matter of a few dollars tops, and you shouldn't worry about cost as much as what wood you prefer for your project.

Peace,Rich

That depends if you are in the UK! It is much cheaper here than maple.

OK, so I think its time for a game of ”let’s swap wood”. I was at my supplier yesterday and got some maple for 4 guitars and 2 basses or neck-throughs. I had to cash up around 100 $ for that and it is not quarter sawn (I laminate and can get the pieces I need pretty close) and not nearly close to ready to use. For that amount of money I can get half a truckload of fir. It will be only construction grade fir but I would be able to sort out a lifetime of usable wood from that shipment.

BTW Robert Benedetto has a guitar in his book that has a top made out of construction grade pine and he claims it to sound just as good as his other instruments. And someone remember the Taylor "pallet wood" guitar? I think that wee are going to see lot more of this type of experience in the future as the world runs out of precious woods. I also predict that we will se even more use of graphite and things like that to be used together with wood that sound good but have grown so fast that it doesn’t really have the strength to be used in guitars.

Furthermore I predict that the world will come to an end at…sorry got carried away.