Finishing With A Brush

greetings experienced guitar luthiers,

i am building my first guitar project but i am strapped for cash

my guitar is made out of a pine body and walnut neck in a les paul shape

because i have little money and access to power tools only at my grandpa's place

i needed to dumb everything down to the basics

such as....

carving the top and comfort contours with a hand belt-sander (surprisingly went well)

carving the neck with an extremly rough file

ect... don't want to continue boring you

anyway the big question is that i need to paint the guitar but don't have a spray gun or air compressor

i don't have enough money to buy enough spray cans for a good paint job

so i need to do a semi gloss or gloss finish by brush (doing a walnut stain)

big questions...

what kinds of finish should i use? (brands, types, ect)

how do i do a good finish without messing it up? (brush stroke marks)

i also have some tung oil for the neck and was wondering how many coats and what else should be applied with it

i need a close to detailed explanation on how to do these things

thanks guys (and gals)

Andrew S.

ps: i bought a copy of Hiscock's book, very helpful for noobs like me

I've only done one guitar so please don't consider me an expert.. and if I'm wrong someone with more expirience please correct me.

I used Forby's Glossy Tung oil on my guitar and it came out quite well, I tinted the oil with Bing Cherry from Woodburst (as you are on a tight budget you might not want to take that route) using Bounty papertowels and old T-shirts to apply the coats of oil. Initially I sanded with 220 grit between coats but once I got close to the color I wanted I switched to 0000 steel wool.

here's the link to my post showing the end result: my kit guitar

I hope this helps.

I've only done one guitar so please don't consider me an expert.. and if I'm wrong someone with more expirience please correct me.

I used Forby's Glossy Tung oil on my guitar and it came out quite well, I tinted the oil with Bing Cherry from Woodburst (as you are on a tight budget you might not want to take that route) using Bounty papertowels and old T-shirts to apply the coats of oil. Initially I sanded with 220 grit between coats but once I got close to the color I wanted I switched to 0000 steel wool.

here's the link to my post showing the end result: my kit guitar

I hope this helps.

thanks,

that's kinda what i was leaning twords exept i was going to do a natural neck and a walnut stained body

As soft as Pine is, don't you think it's kinda dangerous to put a TOM on it, I'm betting the bridge posts will start leaning forward in a few months at best.

Just a thought, not a sermon. :D

The only reason i'm using pine and walnut is because i got them for free from my grandpa (and this is also an experiment)

i am using a hardtail bridge instead of a post bridge

also i was planning on doing a gloss or semi gloss finish (idk which yet) on the pine body and a tung oil based finish on the walnut neck

since i'm new to the trade i'm assuming that TOM is refering to Tung oil something (i'm not good w/ abbreviations :D )

but why do you consider it dangorous to use the TOM?

For hand application I would suggest using a foam applicator rather than a brush. Finishes like polyurethane DO tend to settle out but some brush marks will still have to be sanded out. The foam applicator leaves no trail but they have to be used properly. Pressing too hard makes bubbles. The finish also has to be applied slowwwwly. The applicator should also be left soaking in your container of finish so it's surface won't dry out, otherwise you wind up with the applicator plowing the stuff around and making striations rather than spreading it around evenly.

Pine is so soft and porous, I bet you'd have to use 15 coats of Tru-Oil before it even started to show up on the surface.

Super soft wood and a soft finish...unless it was never going to leave the house...no thanks.

That is no way to approach building any kind of decent guitar.

For hand application I would suggest using a foam applicator rather than a brush. Finishes like polyurethane DO tend to settle out but some brush marks will still have to be sanded out. The foam applicator leaves no trail but they have to be used properly. Pressing too hard makes bubbles. The finish also has to be applied slowwwwly. The applicator should also be left soaking in your container of finish so it's surface won't dry out, otherwise you wind up with the applicator plowing the stuff around and making striations rather than spreading it around evenly.

thanks man

Pine is so soft and porous, I bet you'd have to use 15 coats of Tru-Oil before it even started to show up on the surface.

Super soft wood and a soft finish...unless it was never going to leave the house...no thanks.

That is no way to approach building any kind of decent guitar.

it's an experimental project helping me get the basics down before going into the real thing

but i read that some sort of grain filler helps the finish to be applicated w/out soaking into the wood too much

I'm not sure if it would work on pine being that it's so porous, what are your thoughts on that?