Does Poplar Take Dye Well?

fyb

I found a nice piece of poplar dirt cheap (about $10 for a body blank) and it's very clear for poplar with nice grain to boot. Can I stain this do you think, or will it come out blotchy? I know some will say to try it on a scrap piece, but I don't want to waste money on stain if it's pretty common knowledge (to you guys anyway :D) that it'll look like crap.

I searched and didn't find too much info on staining poplar, I guess because most of the poplar you see is not worth clear coating anyways.

Thanks for the info! :D

poplar does not stain evenly really...you are better off using a translucent colored spray...like at reranch.com

or this

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supp...Spray_Unit.html

Do those units spray evenly? I think I saw in a thread where some people were complaining that it sputtered. Maybe they didn't keep the nozzle clean, or they tried to use the propellant after most was already gone?

Do those units spray evenly? I think I saw in a thread where some people were complaining that it sputtered. Maybe they didn't keep the nozzle clean, or they tried to use the propellant after most was already gone?

Dan Erlewine uses a Preval sprayer in one of the finishing videos... he keeps two propellant units handy and switches them often, because they start getting cold and will sputter if you try to use them too long without letting them warm up. With practice you could probably do a decent job for the translucent stuff, then switch to regular rattlecan clear lacquer.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st&p=289901

This was all painted with the preval. You have to thin the laquer a lot more than for a regular gun... I was shooting the heavy 50-50, and the light(burst) between 60-40 and 70-30. But for the bursts I think that an airbrush will be better.

With the preval you don't have a nice spray fan pattern like the DEFT can have, and it shoots heavy, If you are using it to shoot a body, there is not too much trouble with the cal getting cold, unless you are shooting a lot of coats, but the usual 2-3 pass coats should be no problem... On the other side, if you are doing a set neck or a neck thru... I would suggest swapinf between cans. And an important side note, the jar holds a few Oz, and it runs out fast, so if you are shooting translucent, if you are running out and you finish a complete pass, stop there and ad more paint before shooting more!