Bigleaf Maple In Necks?

This does not answer the question but may give some insight. I have not tried it in a neck.

BIGLEAF MAPLE acer macrophyllum

The Bigleaf Maple is also known as Broadleaf Maple, Oregon Maple

The Bigleaf Maple is well named as its leaves are enormous with stems often as long as the leaf

UNIQUE FEATURES: The Bigleaf Maple is the largest and fastest growing maple in Canada The Bigleaf Maple has a narrow crown supported by a branch-free stem for half its length when grown in the forest. When grown in the open, a few large, spreading branches support a broad crown Seeds are food for small mammals and birds Twigs of the Bigleaf Maple are food for elk and deer Often draped in mosses

LOCATION: The Bigleaf Maple is found in the southwest corner of British Columbia Low to mid elevations Coarse, gravelly, moist soils such as found near river, lake and stream edges

WOOD CHARACTERISTICS: Close grain, moderate hardness

USES: Modern - furniture, interior finishing, musical instruments, flowers can be used in salads (YUM)

Traditional - wood: dishes, pipes, clothing hooks, paddles; inner bark: baskets, rope and whisks; young shoots: eaten; sap: type of maple syrup

Yeah, I ran across some of that info. "Moderately hard" doesn't sound promising, but I figured that laminated with something suitably hard, and maybe with graphite rods, it might work out. Maybe I'll just give it a shot and see what happens.

Gotta love maple. You can make a guitar out of it and use its blood on waffles. :D

Yeah, I ran across some of that info. "Moderately hard" doesn't sound promising, but I figured that laminated with something suitably hard, and maybe with graphite rods, it might work out. Maybe I'll just give it a shot and see what happens.

Gotta love maple. You can make a guitar out of it and use its blood on waffles. :D

I built a neck out of pine and it still works 1 year later, white pine to be exact. So the maple you have is titanium compared to that. So if pine can work i wouldn't worry about "soft" maple.

And keep in mind that soft maple is most likely harder than most hardwoods. Its a relative hardness.

Big leaf is not as stiff as sugar maple. It is the wood of choice for Violins, Cellos, and often used on acoustics. It is less favorable for electrics(it will feel less stiff). It can be used. I would think about adding carbon fiber rods or possibly laminates to up the stiffness. It will work but you need to be aware that it will feel less stiff if you do not use any other treatments. Big leaf is a good resonant wood, but is really not as stiff as what most people are used to on solid body guitars.

Peace,Rich

To be clear about some of the comparisons.

So the maple you have is titanium compared to that. So if pine can work i wouldn't worry about "soft" maple.
Actually Western Pine for instance is just slightly less stiff than Big Leaf(it is a softer less dense wood, but is fairly stiff for it's weight).
It is harder than Mahogany and Mahogany is used on a lot of guitar necks.
Honduran(genuine,true) Mahogany is about the same hardness as Big leaf(side hardness will not make a neck stiff though). More importantly for a neck Mahogany is just a little denser and stiffer(but they are close for sure). As far as the laminates you guys are talking about Jatoba, and Purpleheart at least. They have increadably high MOE's and thet will bring up the stiffness in the neck quite nicely. Nothing wrong with using Big leaf(I love the stuff), but don't water down the fact that it is going to be a bit less stiff than what most people are used to in solid body guitars. He needs to have an honest bit of feedback so he knows what to expect.

Peace,Rich

My plan, still just shaping up and that will probably change several times, is to use the maple to make a neckthrough neck in maple/? veneer/purpleheart/? veneer/maple/? veneer/purpleheart/? veneer/maple neck ("? veneer" being something very dark, depending on what I can find).

I see the carbon fiber rods are relatively cheap, so I'll throw a couple in.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Honduran(genuine,true) Mahogany is about the same hardness as Big leaf(side hardness will not make a neck stiff though). More importantly for a neck Mahogany is just a little denser and stiffer(but they are close for sure). As far as the laminates you guys are talking about Jatoba, and Purpleheart at least. They have increadably high MOE's and thet will bring up the stiffness in the neck quite nicely. Nothing wrong with using Big leaf(I love the stuff), but don't water down the fact that it is going to be a bit less stiff than what most people are used to in solid body guitars. He needs to have an honest bit of feedback so he knows what to expect.

Peace,Rich

According to this, big leaf maple is slightly harder than Mahogany (Honduran i.e. "real" mahogany). You're right to say that they're similar in hardness but I beg to differ on density. Maple is denser that mahogany as it has closed pores... unless you have a different notion of density.

I have both species here and from what I can see, the maple does seem to be a little harder. Regardless, the difference is minimal and big leaf maple should be just fine for a neck, especially with hard woods included in the laminate.

:D

Edited by guitar2005