How Long Is A Les Paul Or Prs Headstock

Your subject line says "Les Paul or Prs" which both have very different-sized headstocks...

In any event, though I don't have the exact answer, it'll be in the neighborhood of 6.5". Is it mission-critical to have exactly the same size of headstock as a PRS?

Absolutely! Give yourself 8! You might decide you don't want a PRS-sized headstock by the time the design phase is through, and if you do it's simple enough to cut back. Not so simple to add on.

reason i ask is i have designe da headstock of my own. i usually buid basses but i am makinga guitar for a relative.

i like the slender PRS headstock mine is in the same neighborhood. i just want to make sure that i keep the headstock not too small so it is not odd looking or too compact to be easy to use. thanks

I was wondering that too, i printed a drawing posted somewhere, it read " not exact" well it was far from exact, i scaled it down,. and i still ended up with an 8" headstock, around the same size a LP HS, it looked huge, so was too wondering what the exact size was, 6" sounds like it is in the ballpark...