Question About Various Compressor Sizes?

Hello Everyone Happy New Year

I have read a few questions regarding compressor's, and I have read lot's of questions and answers regarding spray guns and such but couldn't find as much info on compressors, and wondered if someone could just shed a bit of light onto what size tanks, motors, psi etc they use and have found the best for spraying their guitars.

I have sprayed guitars before at college a few years back but would like to try a small workshop setup at some point this year, mainly for hobby use. As I only make a few guitars a year. and do have a couple almost ready for spraying that I'd like to finish off.

so if anyone could shed a bit of there experineces and technical knolledge with various compressor sizes I would be most grateful

Oh here's a picture of my V needs a load more sanding and stuff but couldn't resist trying it all out for a while first.... only just noticed the EMG is wrong way round too ha...oh well :D

JacksonStyleV.jpg

Thanks

Andy :D

Big holding tank (lets you get away with a little less immediate power), ample CFM (look at that, and remember it's usually not an accurate measure, not things like HP), enough for the gun you need. Oiled, belt-drive compressors are quieter, and you need a water/moisture filter/trap on there anyway.

Me? I've got a cheap and nasty 1.5hp oilless (and LOUD AS HELL) compressor that's more than adequate for my SATA minijet (gun's worth more than the compressor), but would be underpowered for most full-sized HVLP guns. Works fine with normal, old-school guns. It's now 9 years old, works more than well enough for my low production.

Big holding tank (lets you get away with a little less immediate power), ample CFM (look at that, and remember it's usually not an accurate measure, not things like HP), enough for the gun you need. Oiled, belt-drive compressors are quieter, and you need a water/moisture filter/trap on there anyway.

Me? I've got a cheap and nasty 1.5hp oilless (and LOUD AS HELL) compressor that's more than adequate for my SATA minijet (gun's worth more than the compressor), but would be underpowered for most full-sized HVLP guns. Works fine with normal, old-school guns. It's now 9 years old, works more than well enough for my low production.

I think that for low hobby work it's hard to justify a belt drive compressor because most of them are quite large, but if you got a garage and have other things to use such as painting or fixing cars, then a belt drive can be justified. I agree a regular gun would work fine with a 1.5hp compressor, but only if you paint guitars... I have a 1.5 hp oiled which is not as loud as an oil-less Campbell compressor I used to have (and it's a really small unit too, 1 gal tank, 1/7 hp, .7CFM, useless for anything but nailers, even airbrush couldn't keep up, and VERY LOUD too.) in fact while it is loud, it is tolerable. So when buying compressors avoid oil-less...

Also I heard (I dont know if its true or not) oil-less compressor tend to have shorter lifespan because they use nylon rings (which is why they can be oil-less) which wears out kinda quick. With oiled compressor a filter is a must because they will sometimes dump oil into the line which is bad for painting!

Thanks for the reply guys, as far as noise and space are concerned that really isn't an issue as I have quite a large workshop, plus a garage not in use and no neighbours. I'm damn lucky really.

What has got me thinking about compressors is that a few of the hardware strores around me and online have got sales on and there are a few compressor deals for sale under and around £100.... my christmas savings and all :D .

I was looking at something like this for instance, if it would be suitable just for my guitars and nothing much else that involve paint spraying.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/group_id//prodp...77.htm#catprods

thanks once again for the reply's :D

Andy