Cheap Alternative For Nut Files

MCH

I think I came across something that may interest the casual user for tweaking the nut for string height adjustment and slot thickness. Luthier files can be quite expensive and harder to acquire locally so I tried a set of files for cleaning welding tips. Very available and the package comes in a large assortment of diameter sizes; more than you would need for the various string sizes.

I file adjusted the nut on my neck for my build and it worked great. I paid $7 for the whole set. I don't think they could be used to cut totally new slots; but for adjustment they work well.

just a thought.

:D

I think I came across something that may interest the casual user for tweaking the nut for string height adjustment and slot thickness. Luthier files can be quite expensive and harder to acquire locally so I tried a set of files for cleaning welding tips. Very available and the package comes in a large assortment of diameter sizes; more than you would need for the various string sizes.

I file adjusted the nut on my neck for my build and it worked great. I paid $7 for the whole set. I don't think they could be used to cut totally new slots; but for adjustment they work well.

just a thought.

:D

Those little devils seem to be popping up in topics every now and again.-click

If you wanted to make a new nut it would be best to cut the slots(I use guaged saw blades) and then use the small files to smooth the slots. They do work pretty well(especially if you only do a few nuts per. year).

Peace,Rich