Beginner Needs Help With Lp Pickup Switch

rdtyphn

This is for a LP: when the pickup switch is in the center position only the rhythm pickup is selected...there is no sound coming from the treble pickup. I want to fix this myself if possible. I am a total beginner with electronics and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the wiring or if it's the pickup switch itself. The sounds are fine in the other two positions.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick response. I've taken out the circular plate from behind the switch and can see the wires from there. It doesn't seem like there's anything obviously disconnected. How could I remove the switch from the body to get a closer look? It doesn't seem to unscrew from the body. Thanks.

There should be like a nut holding the switch on. If you hold the switch itself still and try and turn the round nut next to the plastic. You might need something to help unscrew it. I hope i've described that well enough.

Thanks, I've taken it out and it looks like the switch is ok. When the switch is in the center both metal pieces are in contact. As to the wiring it looks like the three wires red white and yellow are connected ok. However, the wire behind them connecting to the other side of the switch looks very messy and is exposed. Not sure if that would be it though, because it still looks connected. Any ideas? Thanks

There should be like a nut holding the switch on. If you hold the switch itself still and try and turn the round nut next to the plastic. You might need something to help unscrew it. I hope i've described that well enough.

Thanks, I've taken it out and it looks like the switch is ok. When the switch is in the center both metal pieces are in contact. As to the wiring it looks like the three wires red white and yellow are connected ok. However, the wire behind them connecting to the other side of the switch looks very messy and is exposed. Not sure if that would be it though, because it still looks connected. Any ideas? Thanks

hi Rdtyphn,

that's not good enough. get an ohmmeter and measure the resistance between the lugs in all 3 positions.

cheers,

unk