How To Get 9 Volts Up A Guitar Lead?

RJV

I am well on the way to completing a scratch built guitar with modified on-board effects (based on a Boss PS5 Super Shifter and a Zvex Fuzz Probe). I have wired both effects in series with a true bypass switch each, and each effect is powered by one of two on-board 9 volt DC batteries. Everything works perfectly so far and after I finish adding in the wiring for a Roland GK3 Midi I will be just about all done. Until now my plan has been to power the effects by the on board batteries only, but I would like to explore ways of using a 9 volt DC power adaptor on the floor and feeding the 9 volts up a stereo (?) guitar lead which also carries the guitar signal in the opposite direction (i.e. from the guitar to the amp). This would save a lot of batteries as the PS5 really chews through them quickly.

I have a Line 6 Variax which works in a similar manner - a stereo lead plugs into a floor level Line 6 adaptor box which thus provides for 9 volts AC (not DC) to power the guitar and the signal to come from the guitar. I have opened the back of the Variax to look at how the stereo jack is wired up but as its all integrated into complex proprietary circuitry and PCBs I didn't learn anything.

Can anyone guide me on what sort of jack to install in the guitar and how to wire it? I have looked at mono and stereo Switchcraft jacks, and also at switchable jacks. Presumably I need a stereo jack and lead to give me three conductors ... tip = guitar signal, sleeve = ground, but can I safely wire the ring for 9 volt DC positive and then connect the 9 volt DC negative also to sleeve, I'm just not sure about this, as every time I look closely at a stereo plug as it inserts into a jack it seems to momentarily short between the combinations (i.e. the plug tip touches the jack ring as it slides in, the plug tip and ring slide on the jack sleeve etc.) I am concerned that this will cause unacceptable clicking and/or damage to the effects and/or pickups.

So what sort of jack do I need, and how do I wire it up to work effectively and safely? One solution which occurred to me (but isn't pretty to look at) would be to split the stereo lead into two mono jacks at the guitar end - say with a 1/4 inch jack handling the guitar signal (tip=+ and sleeve=ground) and a 1/8 inch jack providing the 9 volt DC (ring=+ and shared sleeve=-).

Thanks for all help.

Edited by RJV

Thanks - I will look at phantom power and XLR if thats the only option but I'm not very keen on it. Firstly, because I don't understand it and learning, using and living with it is straying out of my comfort zone. Secondly, since both an XLR lead and a stereo lead have 3 conductors I dont yet see a compelling need to install an XLR socket on my guitar (= ugly) instead of a discrete phono jack (or two). Advice on type and wiring of phono jack(s)?

Edited by RJV

No no, the stereo jack should work fine. I was thinking about making like a bypass box with is plugged in the wall, and the cable from the amp to the box, then a stereo cable from the box to the guitar. You will have to make dead sure the have the wires the right way cos you could end up blowing your amp/guitar. Also you might have a trouble with hum or interference.

No no, the stereo jack should work fine. I was thinking about making like a bypass box with is plugged in the wall, and the cable from the amp to the box, then a stereo cable from the box to the guitar. You will have to make dead sure the have the wires the right way cos you could end up blowing your amp/guitar. Also you might have a trouble with hum or interference.

Thanks. I understand you - thats how the Line 6 Variax is wired (the box on the floor has 9 volts in, a stereo lead in from the guitar, and a mono lead out to the amp). You have listed the problems I am worried about (hum, interference, blowing things up). So I am hopeful that someone in the forum has some solutions to these portential problems.