Trussrod Cover - Inlay Design

Unrealize

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what I gathered from the linked site up there was that he used one magnet for the cavity and one for the cover. I just snipped the heads off of a few nails and carefully pushed the heads into the body at the right places, but your idea seems like it would work better cosmetically, Wes.

• 2 weeks later...

Radiotrib: Sorry, I've been really busy with studiowork, so I haven't had time to get back to you. I got your pm, and it's really awesome that you took the time to do this for me. I haven't got them yet, but I guess I'll have them early next week. :D Thanks again!!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I think I kinda got this one right. The routing could still be better tho...

PTU 7's.: Yes, used a handsaw to cut the pearl, dremel to rout. :D

Great job on that.

I have access to a top notch "hegner" scroll saw. I used it for the one and only time I cut pearl. I superglued the pearl to a 3/16" plywood backer.... not the best choice, but it was handy.... I still have all my fingers even when cutting tiny pieces. I made a set of "celtic crosses". Not too much detail except the small size at the upper frets. Both straight and curved sections. I'm a noob with the saw, and it went fine on my first try. Some people learn how to use a scroll saw very well. I dont- yet.... I think though, that a good saw like a hegner, RBI, or the makita cheap copy of the RBI that there is *almost* nothing that cant be done with the saw that you could do with a hand saw.

I have not tried the handsaw, and probably wouldnt.

Talking to another guitar builder, he said he buys miniature "bandsaws" from stained glass shops with an abrasive blade, not a toothed blade, and says it's the best. I've not seen the setup, dunno the limitations, but heard these can be found for as little as $50 US.... something to check into......

Here's a pic of the crosses-

P1010039-1.jpg

They go all the way to 21 fret... gets almost the size of a pencil eraser.... Couldnt bring myself to try a double on the 24th.....

Edited by postal

Here's a pic of the crosses-

P1010039-1.jpg

They go all the way to 21 fret... gets almost the size of a pencil eraser.... Couldnt bring myself to try a double on the 24th.....

Nice - I guess I'll keep using the scroll saw technique.

What kind of blades do you use and where do you get them. I find that getting fine blades is hard. Do the stew mac hand saw blades work on the scroll saw?

I use med and fine blades from sears or HD. It depends on the kind of saw you have, but the stew blades will probably work on some saws. Rockler probably has them too.