Cedar As A Body Wood?

kmw

I have some thick cedar billets and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of using cedar as an electric body? I know it is used as a top in some acoustics, but I have never seen it used for an electric. I know strength could be an issue, but I figure I could make a 2-piece cedar body with a thick maple or poplar spline, which would give me joint strength and solid screw anchoring. So I guess I am wondering what tonal characteristics cedar would have? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

kmw

I love Cedar (as you may see in the search function). it makes good guitars, is plenty strong enough without having to put a spine into it but it does mark easily. It is similar in workability/knockability to Poplar but is nicer to work. Veneer the front if you want some extra protection and be careful when you are working it. My last guitar was cedar body wings on a douglas fir neck through with mahogany facings. It is great fun.

It also smells like you have been attacked by a box of pencils when you work it.