Another Pick Ups Thread

BigG1986

Me Again im now looking to change ma pickups in my strat i want Seymour duncs LW-Must Live Wire Dave Mustain Pups in my neck and bridge, but what should i put in the middles i was thinkin of the lipstick tube but ive heard u cant mix passives and actives, I though i might aswell put these in as im also gonna put p/p/pots in for the tone and use then to phase th neck and bridge, so any suggestions for the middle and what would be good to mix with the hb's lemme know

Just put a LiveWire Classic or Hot single-coil in there. You might have to run another battery for it because the older LiveWires require an 18-volt source. I would contact SD to see if you can run the Mustaines on 18v too because that'll simplify your wiring a bit. Or you could just not put any pickup in the middle at all. With two humbuckers, a middle pickup does seem to get in the way sometimes.

these lw's run on a 9v source, so could i put in a emg sa in the mid with the duncan lw's or an emg kfk set with an emg sa.

i really wanna go for active pick ups and i like haveing 3 just for variation, i play a mix of metal, classic rock, rock 'n' roll, funk and acoustic, so i really want a good variation

The voltage issue isn't so much a problem as the potentiometers. EMGs use 25k controls and the Duncans use 100k. If you put an SA in there with the Mustaine set the pots would act more like an on-off switch with that pickup.

You might think about an 85/SA/SA combo or something like the EMG Lukather set. That'd probably get you the best range for what you're playing.