Desperatly Need Help With Frets, Fretting And Fretboard Please

I will scare you guys on this picture:

imga11833og.jpg

But seriously I'm almost complete with the entire 7 string mockingbird.. again this is my first build. Since I don't really like this forum because of the limit of pics per post policy, but I love the help,tips, advice, and seeing other peoples builds here, this is the website forum that I go on and there are numerous pictures of the entire guitar being completed.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showt...817#post8018817

i visited the link...i'm sorry but that neck is unuseable...the horrible join between the fretboard and neck combined with the smashed frets and twisted neck have pretty much gauranteed that you need to start over from scratch...there is no luthier in the world that can level those frets...they would not even touch it...

the difference between the body and neck is astounding...what happened?the body looks pretty good,even after recessing the knob to cover up your tearout...

dude...you HAVE to get your glue joins better than that...not only is it seriously weak with joins that poor,but you just turned the neck into one big dead spot tonally...i can't stress enough that you should not pair that neck with that body...i would buy a neck from carvin or warmoth first and get graded on the body alone...

seriously...see if you can finish the body and get graded on it...it is still not due yet,right?

Amazing job cleaning up the neck, but I'll have to agree with Wes on this. It's not usable, it's not remotely close to usable. Even if you pick out all that dried glue with an Xacto blade, that wont get the glue joint any tighter. It is extremely important to have a tight bond between the woods. If there isn't, you'll create dead spots.

Don't take it the wrong way. No one here is going to sugar coat your screwups. But man, I gotta say. You're going to learn a hell of a lot more from screwing up than sitting around accomplishing nothing at all. If you are able to take that fingerboard off and level the neck down nice and flat, you may be able to salvage that neck. Going this route will at least teach you a few new tricks. You may want to try using a brass insert when hammering frets in, or use a hammer made for the job.

Ummm yeah.... chalk this one up to experience and try again

did you even visit the link?

Yep I did, My first wasn't good either so don't feel bad. Experience is the name of the game the more you build the more you get. :D

I dunno, cutting my own fretslots etc. is just too much work. Its easier to just buy a pre-radiused, preslotted fb, unless I was going for an unusual scale length or planning to use some type of wood that wasn't available from a supplier. Too many obvious "wrong" things done to that neck, but you went right ahead and kept doing it. No offense man, ya gotta take it all in stride. :D

Well... You did get most of the glue off the neck. If you are being forced to get it done for a grade. Then I guess you gotta keep on moving ahead. It is kinda like watching a car crash in slow mo(I don't mean to offend you). I just feel helpsless watching as you go about the tasks. I hope that you will give a new neck a try after you get your grade. This time taking the time to look at methods, what you learned from this, planning, reference how others handle some tasks. Basically give yourself time to make a good neck. Don't be too let down on making another based on this experience. You will find that the methods you used are much more difficult than the methods many other fellas use. Your next neck is sure to be a better experience.

The gentle curves on the body look nice(kinda sleak). As with the neck though. I bet you can find some really helpful tips by looking at how other people approch routing with templates, more accurate carves, keeping lines true and sufraces flat.

Peace,Rich

P.S. Even though those frets got pretty out of control on this one. You will find on your next fretboard that with a well surfaced fretboard, properly cut slots, and evenly seated frets your fret leveling work is so much easier than what you are working with.

quick hammering tip if u dont have a brass hammer to hand place a bit of mdf on the fret and hit the mdf it will stop it dinting, well it works for me anyway ma mate tried it and they still dinted but not as much(hes a mupet though), good job on the body btw!!! but the neck is the hardest and most important part if u ask me i dont even attept to make them i buy the blanks an put em together

Edit: Spelling

Edited by BigG1986