Stupid Bridge Question

You know, I really hate it when people preface a post with 'this is really stupid' or 'I'm an idiot'...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take you seriously?

As for your question, no, it's not stupid. The choice of your bridge is one of the most important deciding factors when you build a guitar. It can define a lot about the guitar --string spread (and neck width), fretboard radius, body routing (tremolo vs hardtail vs TOM/wraparound vs tele plate etc), neck height or neck angle, carved top vs. flat top, build difficulty, and obviously, the overall design of the guitar.

And yes, each bridge has its own effect on the sound of the guitar. A tele bridge is definitely going to sound different from a non-compensated wraparound. As for the sustain thing, well, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder on this one.

In other words, given all these factors, no one can decide for you. It really helps to have an overall vision of the guitar you want to build first, and that will help you choose.

Since you're asking this question, I'm assuming this will be a first build? If that's the case, stick with building a guitar based on a type of guitar you already like.

Hi, might as well make my first post on the forum a dumb one. I'm going back and forth between the Tone Pros TOM and the intonatable wraparound bridge for my project. Is there any difference in tone or sustain or is it purely athestetic? Thanks for any help!

This is my opinion. No facts or research to back it up, just what's spilling out of my head (or other body part if you like).

Gibson has used the TOM for decades. PRS uses a compensated wraparound. The "tone" and "sustain" of a Les Paul vs a Custom 24 is (arguably) similar, if nothing else. As long as the bridge you use is installed correctly and intonates properly (and the guitar is set up well), there will be no discernable difference in sustain and tone.

I say use what works with the design of the guitar, complete the build, then let your own ear be the judge.

Of course, there will be other opinions. :D

i have an opinion based on the use of both ,if you wish to hear it...i am a big fan of the tone pros bridge,having used it on several guitars and really liking the sound...but i have a beast copy i built which has a nice top wood,so i wanted to use a wraparound so there would be less hardware obscuring the top...so i bought an intonateable wraparound aluminum bridge from i think stewmac...

both styles of bridges sound great....but there is one deciding factor that will keep me from ever using a wraparound again...the string pull wants to lift up the back of the wraparound,and the bridge does not fit tightly enough on the studs to prevent that,so since i very carefully set the neck angle on that guitar to have the bridge studs sit perfectly flat on the top,now my string action is about 1 mm higher than it could be on that guitar...it still is not as high as a factory setup,but it bothers me because that is the best neck/fretjob i have ever done and i don't get full use of it...so eventually i will need to use a different bridge

studs sit perfectly flat on the top,now my string action is about 1 mm higher than it could be on that guitar...it still is not as high as a factory setup,but it bothers me because that is the best neck/fretjob i have ever done and i don't get full use of it...so eventually i will need to use a different bridge

Pigtail makes a low profile version of that bridge (although that might be the one you bought). Alternatively you can still sink the inserts into the surface, just to the level of the flange, that'll give you the clear.

Another way is to add retainer clips around the studs and above the bridge, this will force the bridge to remain level, or at least more level, which may be all you need.

my opinion I like the hard tail string through bridge.

I have always liked hard tail strats and I love tele guitars.

I have used hard tail string through on my last 4 builds 2 prs a strat and a tele.

I think there is more sustain with a string through bridge.

it is a little boring using he same bridge all the time but practice make perfect.

I guess what ever works for your project. nothing wrong with the wrap around and it works vary well.

Another way is to add retainer clips around the studs and above the bridge, this will force the bridge to remain level, or at least more level, which may be all you need.

yeah i have thought about that...i just really don't like shimming anything....

i would probably be better off trying to find snugger fitting studs...but mypoint is,the manufacturer should have built it with tighter tolerances

Hi, might as well make my first post on the forum a dumb one. I'm going back and forth between the Tone Pros TOM and the intonatable wraparound bridge for my project. Is there any difference in tone or sustain or is it purely athestetic? Thanks for any help!

This is my opinion. No facts or research to back it up, just what's spilling out of my head (or other body part if you like).

Gibson has used the TOM for decades. PRS uses a compensated wraparound. The "tone" and "sustain" of a Les Paul vs a Custom 24 is (arguably) similar, if nothing else. As long as the bridge you use is installed correctly and intonates properly (and the guitar is set up well), there will be no discernable difference in sustain and tone.

I say use what works with the design of the guitar, complete the build, then let your own ear be the judge.

+1!

Of course, there will be other opinions. :D

....but there is one deciding factor that will keep me from ever using a wraparound again...the string pull wants to lift up the back of the wraparound,and the bridge does not fit tightly enough on the studs to prevent that

Wes, TonePros makes locking studs to prevent that problem exactly. They are replacement studs for your bridge and lock up against the bridge to prevent it from lifting up.

Here is a link that shows what they do. They sell for around $35.