Anyone Know A Mod For A Morley Pro-series Wah

swirlslave

Why are you so eager to mod it? There is a saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The only reason I modded my crybaby was to convert it from a bass wah to a guitar wah. What are you wanting to accomplish by modding? If you are just wanting to play around, find a cheap crybaby to mod.

Right.

Morley wahs.

Goto their webshite (its a bit rubbish), they have all the schematics on there. If memory serves me, the pro series wah is the same as the bad horsies etc etc.

Now, goto Geofex (geofex.com imaginatively) and search for an article called the technology of wah pedals. Down there there is a section that kind of explains how the circuit in a morley works (although it never refers to it by name).

The actual circuit is very simple its just your basic wah type circuit with some fancy FET switching linked to the pedal position. What kind of 'mod' are you hoping to achieve? Let me know and i might be able to point you in the right direction. I made a remake of this circuit to be controlled by a remote pedal (ie to go in a rack) so have a bit of experience with it.

Cheers

S

Well, basically i was wondering if there was a mod for making the sweep a little more defined,

this is my setup = guitar>wah>amp.

also i saw a guy on ebay selling one and it says in its auction that there was two resistance that has been changed as a mod to better the frequency.

thanks for the replies, i will take a look at geofex.

:D

I've kinda modded my bad horsie....not really a mod, more a hack I guess. I read it somewhere on the interweb & gave it a go.....

I adjusted the sweep. It was a long time ago so I can hardly remember what it achieved or why I didn't like it as was....but anyhoo...open it up & you'll notice a piece of black fibreboard/cardboard with a slit in it. This controls the amount of light which hits the sensor which in turn controls the sweep....I guess it must be triangular in shape to allow more light at one end than the other. All I did was remove the fibreboard, make a copy of it & play around with some black electrical tape, covering the slot at different points & even trying a larger slit. Eventually I got something closer to a classic Vox/Dunlop wah, I made a fresh template, fixed it in place & put the old one somewhere safe...which I've now forgotten where.

Hardly a crazy mod but something to play with....I think that it was mentioned on the Morley site once now I think about it.

Well, basically i was wondering if there was a mod for making the sweep a little more defined,

this is my setup = guitar>wah>amp.

also i saw a guy on ebay selling one and it says in its auction that there was two resistance that has been changed as a mod to better the frequency.

thanks for the replies, i will take a look at geofex.

haha....you just beat me to it...hope that helps.

Define "defined." Alone it means nothing. Are you looking for a wider sweep range? A more narrow one (which is what "more defined" would seem to mean to me -- not something you are probably looking for)? Adjust the sweep to affect more higher frequencies? More lower frequencies?

Before you go modding your pedal, you will need to know what you are actually trying to accomplish.

Morley pedals do have a sound of their own. I've got a few of em, and its a question of whether its you or not. Some people think they sound a bit sterile compared to the crybaby. I'll admit the crybaby is a more versatile pedal (morley pedals, the modern bad horsie, pro series II wahs just do not do funky wikka wah sounds), but to my ear, for modern lead oriented shred, they are a far superior pedal (Mr Vai agrees with me ya know :D).

Just my advice, if you too want something that sounds more crybabyish, buy a crybaby. But mods to these morley pedals are pretty easy assuming you can solder.

S

You can look up Analogman.com.

If there's a mod for it, he's done it, and he will do it for your pedal if you don't want to monkey around with it yourself.

He's got pages of pedals he offers mods for, quality work, good rates, nice guy, very experienced.

He (along with everyone else) is probably still at Namm right now tho.

I agree with the above, I have a Teese RMC-1 for classic wah sounds, and a Bad Horsie for G-3 type of prog/shred stuff.

basically, what i want to change or improve is the vocal quality of the pedal, so i need to find out wich resistor affect this.

im searching for satch vocal tone, if you seen him live lately or bought his new dvd then you know what im talking about, pretty amazing, i think he has the most incredible wah sound. but im aware he uses dunlop wah.

I heard that used two bad horsie's (this was a while back)...one had the spring removed so that he could find a sweet spot & leave it there & the other for vocal sounds, sometimes using both.

this states that he has 3x dunlop wahs (2000)

why not go for an adjustable wah such as the mk2 horsie or one of the Boss or dunlop wahs?

Right, Satch uses an adjustable crybaby (the 535Q if memory serves), no morleys near him. Two wah's in series, moved in opposite directions will give you a more 'vocal' quality to your sound (an SRV trick :D). In terms of finding a resistor for modding this, i dont think you'll be able to tease much more out of a morley than is there by mods. If you look at the design of modern morleys, they havent really changed much at all in the past tenish years. The basic design has just had addons whacked on it (buffers, switching, boosts (tremonti wah), Contour controls (BH-2)). In terms of modding, the crybaby is the much more modifiable pedal. You might wanna get an old one off fleabay to have a play with. Theres alot more material on the net for that kind of thing.

S

http://www.morleypedals.com/pwa-iies.pdf

its a twin t style wah, not an inductor wah. it is nothing like the bad horsie wah. which imho is a much better wah, if you remove all the cmos switching and buffer stages that are completely useless. the one i rebuilt based off the actual section years ago sounds just like the real thing without all the extra crap. morley will actually give you an inductor [well they did me] cause i asked them what value mine was and it was bad

play with c5 and c6