Amazing How Inspiration And Ideas Sometimes Find You.

RGGR

Lately (with other projects coming along nicely) I have been toying with idea of doing a bass. All still on drawing board and first want to finish other projects (gotta finish projects now end then, hey?)

So.....toying with idea of bass.......and knowing that bass builders are bit more experimental in their body shape's in general, I have been eyeing "cool" basses these last few weeks.

Also been toying with hiding controls. On 540Pvii build I want to hide the pupswitches (in back of guitar). Have seen Maiden69 hide input (output?) jack to back of the guitar in very clever way.....

So imagine these ideas......floating in my brain.

And then surfing the net....

via: http://www.bas-extravaganza.nl/?page=bassen

I bump into.

http://www.ritter-basses.com/ritter-basses...ses-jupiter.htm

And I be darned. An amazing bass shape.......with hidden control. (almost similar as I dreamed up few days ago.)

ritter-basses-0316electronic2.jpg

Now I'm telling you......if the devil played with it. Both these sites I have never seen in my life before....but giving such a burst of inspiration. Just wanted to share.

:D

And yeah, finishing other ones first.....I know!!!!!!

Edited by RGGR

I really don't get why anyone would hide the controls on the back of a guitar. If you don't need them accessable then you obviously don't really need them so just get rid of them.....Those Ritter bass's are lovely but IMO the controls looked like they've been dreamed up by someone desperate to be different.

Why not use flush-fit buttons for pickup selection on the edge of the guitar/bass, like this: http://www.guytonguitars.co.uk/index.php?i...nut&image=2

They'll be virtually hidden but easily accessable.

I really don't get why anyone would hide the controls on the back of a guitar. If you don't need them accessable then you obviously don't really need them so just get rid of them....

I disagree with you completely.

Sometimes visible controls may ruin the look of the guitar. At same time you want to be able to switch between pups, or do other controls (volume/tone). This doesn't mean you want to do this during a song (accessable controls)....but maybe between songs, or at other moments. So to me it makes perfect sense to hide the controls because of aesthetic reasons, but still have functionality over them.

Check out Myka's side-mounted controls --looks cool, and the controls remain somewhat accessible.

that seems like a good solution...he's a clever chap.

RGGR, how do you check the volume or tone whilst adjusting the controls? I know that you could play an open string or hammer-on with one hand while holding the guitar away from you & adjusting the level with the other hand...but how awkward is that going to be?...& aren't the controls normally tweaked during performance so that you can get the sound right straight away? If the volume is a bit too loud or if the tone is a bit too sharp do you stop mid-song & tweak it or carry on until the end & then tweak it & hope that you've got it right?

The way I see it is that you might gain a little in the look of the guitar but lose a lot in practicality....but that's just how I see it.

i agree with the frog....how would it ruin the look of the guitar when it is an integral part of the instrument?that's like saying the frets ruin the "minimalist" look of the fretboard.

but the input jack?yeah...by all means hide that..but youNEED to be able to access the volume to shut off the volume between songs to not ruin everybody's hearing with microphonics...among other reasons...putting them on the back just seems silly to me

RGGR, how do you check the volume or tone whilst adjusting the controls? I know that you could play an open string or hammer-on with one hand while holding the guitar away from you & adjusting the level with the other hand...but how awkward is that going to be?...& aren't the controls normally tweaked during performance so that you can get the sound right straight away? If the volume is a bit too loud or if the tone is a bit too sharp do you stop mid-song & tweak it or carry on until the end & then tweak it & hope that you've got it right?

The way I see it is that you might gain a little in the look of the guitar but lose a lot in practicality....but that's just how I see it.

It shape over function, I fully agree.......but sometimes that's the sacrifice you have to make to be able to achieve the look you're after.

i agree with the frog....how would it ruin the look of the guitar when it is an integral part of the instrument?that's like saying the frets ruin the "minimalist" look of the fretboard.

but the input jack?yeah...by all means hide that..but youNEED to be able to access the volume to shut off the volume between songs to not ruin everybody's hearing with microphonics...among other reasons...putting them on the back just seems silly to me

+1. We all have to decide what level of functionality we will accept from our instruments but I can't imagine that moving the controls would be a practical solution for a gigging musician.

That said, I'm glad for the links. Thanks RGGR! My observations are similar to yours - bass builders are more inventive and bass players much more open to change. I've been starting to look at bass designs for fresh perspectives on guitar design.

If you're interested in cool bass designs, check out Xavier Padilla's bass from Jerome Little of Little Guitar Works. According to my discussions with Jerome Little, it was developed over the course of six months of talks with Xavier Padilla. It has a number of interesting features.

Regards,

Rob

That said, I'm glad for the links. Thanks RGGR! My observations are similar to yours - bass builders are more inventive and bass players much more open to change. I've been starting to look at bass designs for fresh perspectives on guitar design.

It's all about inspiration. Getting out of your confort zone. Original thinking, not bound by unwriten laws.

And when I see a guy building a bass out of a McDonalds counter top.....then I go.......darn, why didn't I think of that.

Why am I in my thinking bound by......your any other RG, with a touch of exotic woods and your cool neck laminates.

If you're interested in cool bass designs, check out Xavier Padilla's bass from Jerome Little of Little Guitar Works. According to my discussions with Jerome Little, it was developed over the course of six months of talks with Xavier Padilla. It has a number of interesting features.

OMG, that is one twisted neck!!! Better pic

I work with an old bass playing friend & we often share any cool pics & links. There does seem to be more inventiveness with bass design & I agree to a certain extent that bassists are often more acceptable of new designs but I honestly think that more modern designs look better on basses. Maybe it's because I'm a guitarist & I'm not able to accept "wacky" designs? I think that there's something about the long, slender design of the bass that makes funky designs a little more pleasing whereas guitars often look just plain weird.

I work with an old bass playing friend & we often share any cool pics & links. There does seem to be more inventiveness with bass design & I agree to a certain extent that bassists are often more acceptable of new designs but I honestly think that more modern designs look better on basses. Maybe it's because I'm a guitarist & I'm not able to accept "wacky" designs? I think that there's something about the long, slender design of the bass that makes funky designs a little more pleasing whereas guitars often look just plain weird.

Personally, I think the issue is one of conservatism among guitar players. I don't think that it's because the size of the guitar is somehow a limiting factor in exploring new and interesting designs anymore than I think the bass is a better canvas for exploring design. There's a world of opportunity in either case but musicians ultimately have to be willing to accept new approaches in order for them to succeed.

Regards,

Rob

I admit I really liked the idea of the hidden controls when I saw it here, after a little bit of thought there's a question in my mind of how funtional it would be. Myka's design strikes me as a nice mid point of hidden but still accessible. Thanks for those links, already bookmarked for future use! -Vinny