Delta Bandsaw Broke

Inisheer

For Christmas I got this 9" Delta Bandsaw and I just got around to putting it together this past week. It was easy to assemble and I was happy with it. I practiced cutting scrap woods ranging up to 1.5" thick and it cut smooth as butter. I then started cutting out my bass body which is 2" thick and it cut easily through that. I only got a little done on the body though and then I heard a rattling sound. The belt inside needed tightened, so I did that and it was fine again. Then I was cutting through something else, less than 1/2" thick, and the saw messed up. The blade would slow down and stop moving. I checked inside and noticed there was a piece broken. The part connected to the wheel was broken (stupid plastic!) and so the wheel won't move. I don't think that is replaceable so I am returning it to the store.

My questions: I thought Delta was a pretty reliable brand so why did the saw break after only 20 minutes of use? Was this just a defect, or does the plastic piece mean all of their saws will break again? Should I get a new one, or look for a different brand that might be better? Any comments would be appreciated.

well...the 9" delta is the cheapo of the delta line...it is made to be affordable.

having said that though...that is exactly what i have,and i have had no problems...i think you may have had the blade tension too high or something...or maybe it was just already cracked during assembly

+1 to Wes.

I have the same saw. It's cheap and requires some careful attention to make it useful. Having said that, I've used the past 18 months to cut out bodies up to 2 1/2" and necks from laminated mahogany blanks up to 3".

But when it breaks, its gone.

Thanks for the replies :D . I know this is the cheapest one available, but I didn't expect it to break after 20 minutes. This is the first bandsaw I've used in the last five years, and I'm a little out of practice at adjusting them so maybe I did have the blade tension too high. I thought the tighter the better....I take it that is wrong? I don't know if the piece was already broken, maybe I'll try a new one since I know what parts to look at next time.....

tighter isn't better. The "correct" tightness is better. The book that comes with the saw gives instructions on how to tension the blade.

:D Ok, I feel stupid now. But thanks for that point, it made me realize something else. The wheel on the top of the machine is used to adjust the tension, and I followed the instructions. But in the picture in that link, that wheel and spring under it are straight. The one on my saw was bent....I thought maybe it was supposed to look like that, but the picture is different. Is it straight on yours? Maybe mine was broken after all.....

Thanks again to both of you for the help.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

I'm very out of touch with using a bandsaw too but until I get mine setup I've been doing as much reading as possible on tuning it. I went for a 14" after plenty of recommendations, many of the tuning tips for a 14" have suggested adjusting the tension higher than recommended as the built in tension guides are generally so poor....of course, the blade on a 9" is going to be much smaller than a 14" so chances are that the tension guide will be a bit more accurate. It's one of those things where you get a feel for how to tension the blade but that comes with practice...& no doubt I'm out of practice too.

Have a read through the guides, you'll pick up some good tips, they won't fix your saw but they might make working with it easier.

Delta equipment isn't readily available in the UK but I've seen many saws that look identical to that one. My guess is that they're all made cheaply in the far east & then bought by various manufacturers as OEM products, have a logo stuck on & then sold as part of the budget range. Maybe you just got a Friday afternoon model.

I returned the bandsaw and got a new one tonight. Tomorrow I'll try to assemble it and use it some. Hopefully this one will be better than the last, wish me luck. :D

Sorry to drag this thread on.....I haven't used this bandsaw much yet, but I happened to see this Craftsman 10" bandsaw for only $30 more. It is a has a slightly bigger table, has a bigger cutting height, is made from better materials, and comes with a rip fence. For only a little bit extra money, this looks a lot better to me....but I am no expert, does anyone else have advice? Should I stick with the Delta or try this one instead?

I couldn't open that link but from what you've said it sounds much better. I'd have a really good look around to get an idea of how much bandsaws are & what different ones offer.

Whenever I'm looking to buy something significant & search the internet as much as possible to see who's selling what & for how much...then I make a list of the one's that I can afford, the cheaper alternatives & the ones that are just a little too much at the moment. I weigh up all the pro's & con's of each & then make a decision.

Often I'll wait for a few weeks & buy the next model up because often you get a much better deal for only a little extra cash...but sometimes I'll get the cheaper one because I can't see any significant difference to the higher models.

Sorry....I don't know what's wrong with the link, it works for me. And yes, I agree that it is important to do research about any investment. I've been wanting a small bandsaw so I've researched various 9" ones and Delta and Ryobi seem like the only choices for my $100 price range (delta looks like the better of the two). But I was at Sears yesterday and saw this 10" one on sale. It is usually $160, but for this week only it is marked down to $130. It seems sturdier to me and would be better for cutting thicker material. I've done research and have read many reviews from woodworkers sites and they do not seem to favor the delta for thick materials, so I thought this would be better. I am only considering this since this week there is a price drop, $60 is a bit much for me to pay at the moment, but I think I would be willing to hand over 30 bucks for a better machine.

the link works now, must have been the site that was playing up.

That saw looks very similar to my 14" but obviously smaller. All but one of the reviews are favourable, it seems quite well spec'ed for the price, I'd say go for it....but maybe wait to see what others say.

You should go and look over the Sears Bandsaw. They both have motors that are rated @ 1/3HP. The cut depth is a little higher on the Sears. I noticed the Sears said it had bearing guides(I would confirm that). The reviews seemed hit and miss, but I don't know how much faith I would put in them. The people giving the reviews seemed to be new to owning bandsaws and I doubt they would recoginize some downsides(and some issues are probably caused by them not knowing how to set a bandsaw up). If there is any way you could see the potential to move to a 14" by holding off for a bit I would. If that is not in the cards go with the one that looks like you will be able to set it up well(guides and what have you).

Peace,Rich

Well, I bought the 10" Craftsman yesterday and I used it tonight. It had more table space which was good. It did have the guides and other accessories, which I also like. This one seemed to cut faster than the Delta did and overall I am glad I paid an extra $30. I have only used it for about twenty minutes so far, but I like it. :D

The Depth gage on my Delta Drill press went out (after 1/2 our of total usage) So Im still on Lowes 90 day warantee, its going back but its a pain in the butt to do. I would recomend getting an extended warrantee with all this crap from China. Be very wary of USED power tools also. This chinese crap is falling apart left and right. Its a joke. #@#@^)*)*

Craftsman has a lifetime warantee, dont they? If you can take back the delta, and say its broke, whatever. Its all chinese made crap anyway.......try craigslist for used old tools made in America if you go that rout, but used+ power tools = trouble. But sometimes older stuff like and older bansaw is all metal parts and a motor, nothing to really break. I like older craftsman drill presses also, solid, no nonsense.... $@#@#@ chinse crap. :D