Picture From The Namm Show

cSuttle

Hi Everyone. Well, as promised, here is the finished guitar as it hung in the Minarik Guitars booth last week at the NAMM show. I was very pleased with the way they stained it. I think it really enhanced the inlay. And now I can show the body since it has been officially released.

finishguitarbody.jpg

wouldn't it have been cool to have the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on it is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing......etc. :D

"Made in the USA!" are also words that don't exist at Minarik....

They also stole a design from "Yavcon". After Yav confronted them at NAMM, the guitar was pulled from the display, but friends have pictures of it to show they had it...... and some small time emplyee of Minaric got all up in Yav's face about it too, even though Ken was being polite.... Firm, but polite...

Great job on that inlay Cliff- Seriously, it's BADASS! I'm surprised it wasnt done on CNC in china though, and the design stolen from someone else as well.... :D :D

Needless to say, I have a very low opinion of that brand.....

Edited by postal

I still maintain that it would have looked much cooler dyed blue, but that has nothing to do with you Cliff, that's them. Regardless, sweet inlay.

Chris

PS: What happens to all these "show" guitars they make for Namm. Like the rediculously over the top stuff!? Does it all sit in a warehouse somewhere at the company, or do they actually eventually sell this stuff?

"Made in the USA!" are also words that don't exist at Minarik....

They also stole a design from "Yavcon". After Yav confronted them at NAMM, the guitar was pulled from the display, but friends have pictures of it to show they had it...... and some small time emplyee of Minaric got all up in Yav's face about it too, even though Ken was being polite.... Firm, but polite...

Great job on that inlay Cliff- Seriously, it's BADASS! I'm surprised it wasnt done on CNC in china though, and the design stolen from someone else as well.... :D :D

Needless to say, I have a very low opinion of that brand.....

Actually, that guitar right there is "Made in the USA". I believe they are made by Moonstone in CA. Their lower end line is made over seas, but the custom shop stuff is all made here. Not sure about the Yavcon situation, but I know Marc designs all his own guitar shapes personally, I've seen the sketches. My guess would be that the copied design was more of a coincidence than anything else. I'm sure Marc will work things out there.

As far as the China inlay, I looked at a lot of that at the show, yuck. Boy is that stuff done badly. Half the time there is more filler than inlay. Think of the worse inlay you've seen here on the forum in a thread entitled "This is my first inlay and it's not very good," that would be twice as good as this china stuff. I mean really it's embarrassing it's so bad. Things like the spikes on a dragon's back, the routing will go right across the tips of the spikes and not ever try and get between them. Either that or it was overlay and not inlay at all. The designs are lame at best ... it's pretty bad.

wouldn't it have been cool to have the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on it is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing......etc. B)

You sound like Marc. He gave us that idea too. We experimented with the double neck guitar, but it covered up too much of the girl (if you know what I mean) :D

Since we could only go four levels deep on the inlay on the guitar she is playing, we figured we might as well skip it. :D

Edited by cSuttle

What's up Cliff, this is Mike Marcovis. It was nice meeting you at the TPG breakfast. I made sure to check that one out up close after you told me where to find it. You did one hell of job on that inlay!!! That gutiar was pretty much the centerpiece of their booth.

Yeah, like wise. That was a fun breakfast. There was some really nice guitars there. Fun to look at, and fun to play. Did anyone take any picture. Dang, I should have. I had my camera with me too. Just didn't think of it. Just not thinking sometimes. :D

Marc told that that the booth was designed around this guitar as the center piece. I was proud of myself for that. They had a really bad booth spot though.

PS: What happens to all these "show" guitars they make for Namm. Like the rediculously over the top stuff!? Does it all sit in a warehouse somewhere at the company, or do they actually eventually sell this stuff?

Well Chris, actually most of them sell. I believe the R'n'R Angel sold. Talking to most of the smaller builders, it sounds like most of their guitar sold. Huber sold everything, Rico sold most his stuff, Minarik sold most of there stuff, there was one guitar company there that had wild body shapes (cool too, but wild) and most of them sold. "Over the Top," is a relative term. For some, the more decked out the better. For others a strat with white, plastic dot inlays is the way to go. That's why it is so great that there are so many different makers making so many different kinds of guitar. Sort of like dogs, there is a bred for everyone.

wouldn't it have been cool to have the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on it is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing that double-neck guitar...& on that is a smaller inlay of the angel playing......etc. :D

You sound like Marc. He gave us that idea too. We experimented with the double neck guitar, but it covered up too much of the girl (if you know what I mean) :D

Since we could only go four levels deep on the inlay on the guitar she is playing, we figured we might as well skip it. :D

Thats a class job you did, congrads on the show.

Frog, i got looped into reading the inlay in a inlay in a.... till i realized I got duped. B)

I looked at that axe on Sat.

I suppose you met Ed (early fifty silver hair goatie) I've known him for a number of years, and apparently recenty he became a salesrep for Minaric.... I asked him where they were made, and he told me they buy wood in the US, send it to china, and china spits out a completed guitar that is setup here in Kali. He never mentioned the customshop pieces. I took it as a blanket statement that all their work is done by 6 yr old kids in China..... and a few people in kali do the setup work. I've known that guy for almost 10 years, and I know damn well to only believe about 1/10 of what he says..... but that's what he told me as we walked to the booth after smoking outside.

The incident with Ken "Yavcon" was the previous day (Fri) Soon I should be able to get a pic of the stolen guitar in the minaric booth before it was pulled, and the entire upper half of the body is identicle, and it's a VERY unconventional shape, I cannot believe it was merely a coincidence. It's a blatant copy. (I didnt take the pic- I'm waiting for the person to post the image, but he travelled quite far to get to the show- It may be a few days for him to recover and then get his pics up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to *diss* your post. You did a truly superb job, and clearly you have the talent to do intricate detailed work, and you take well deserved pride in a job well done. I would like to see you get job orders from brands far more reputable than them- is all. just *MY* opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to *diss* your post. You did a truly superb job, and clearly you have the talent to do intricate detailed work, and you take well deserved pride in a job well done. I would like to see you get job orders from brands far more reputable than them- is all. just *MY* opinion.

Not to worry, I didn't take any offence by your comments. I was just trying to add what I knew about the situation. I work with a number of other manufacturers as well. One of them is Bishline Banjos, and those guys are some of the nicest guys I have ever met in the music business. I'm not passing judgement on anyone else by saying that, I'm just saying that these guys are super people.

As far as the copy situation, as I said, not sure what is going on there one way or the other, so my comments on that subject are pretty uninformed. I just know that a lot of guitars look like a lot of other guitars. I use to write for Harmony-Central back in the day (when they actually had writers) and I remember PRSH showing me the Single Cut for the first time. The first thing that flashed through my mind was, "Oh, PRS made a Les Paul copy." But, according to the courts, it's not a copy. If I got my shorts in a bunch everytime someone copied one of my inlay designs, I'd be pissed all the time. Let's not forget about all the Strat and Tele makers like Anderson, Suhr, Melicon, etc, etc, etc. Great makers, but a definately ripped off design without question. I'm not familar with Yavcon (do you have a web-site I could check out, I'd really be interested in seeing Ken's work), but if he is making a great guitar he really doesn't have anything to worry about.

<<The incident with Ken "Yavcon" was the previous day (Fri) Soon I should be able to get a pic of the stolen guitar in the minaric booth before it was pulled, and the entire upper half of the body is identicle, and it's a VERY unconventional shape, I cannot believe it was merely a coincidence. It's a blatant copy. (I didnt take the pic- I'm waiting for the person to post the image, but he travelled quite far to get to the show- It may be a few days for him to recover and then get his pics up. >>

Interesting, I had a near identical experience on Saturday with a couple of my inlay designs. Mark is really gaining a reputation, his father must be so proud.

Thorn

Interesting, I had a near identical experience on Saturday with a couple of my inlay designs. Mark is really gaining a reputation, his father must be so proud.

I didn't do those. I only did the Angel and Sun God. I know those are original art because I helped draw them.

Edited by cSuttle

I didn't do those.

That's good to know Cliff, I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about...heck, you wrote an article about one of them for HC about 7 years ago or so.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you discover he does the same thing to you in a few years, be careful when dealing with "friends".

Thorn

Well, I know one of the designs anyway. I for one refuse to copy other peoples work. I get requests all the time to do PRS Dragons and such. Nope, sorry, won't do it. It's not because I'm afraid of the PRS police, but I have too much respect for the original artist to do this to them. I know it has cost me some jobs, but at least I sleep well at night and I can look myself in the mirror. If I'm ever asked to do one of your designs, the answer will be no.

Hi Everyone. Well, as promised, here is the finished guitar as it hung in the Minarik Guitars booth last week at the NAMM show. I was very pleased with the way they stained it. I think it really enhanced the inlay. And now I can show the body since it has been officially released.

finishguitarbody.jpg

no message; i just think this picture should be on every page of this thread!

I was told the "evidence" pic is not to be distributed on the net for now at Ken's request.

I heard about the incident from the guy who took the picture and was a witness to the confrontation. I saw the picture as well.

Yavcons designs are built under permission by Moser Custom Shop. I don't think Neal has to worry about mark taking any of his business.... Neal is SO far outta his league, it isnt even funny.

Thorn- I take it you're Ron Thorn. Sorry to hear your origional works were pilfered as well. I've seen some of your work as well, and it just drops my jaw......

Kudos to CSuttle for declining copied work! Talent, and morals!