Tele Neck Pocket With A Strat Type Neck. Help!

I have a tele body, made by ESP I believe.

It has a square tele type neck pocket.

I bought it used on ebay as a compete guitar for a very good price as a "complete guitar" with a ESP neck, Original Floyd, etc.

I took the neck off to "start from scratch" on setting up a floyd rose equipped guitar.

Well, I try to put the neck back on and because of the rounded block I can't get to sit right now. How much curve do I need to route into the neck pocket to the neck will fit "flush"?

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks.

Tim

if you take away any wood from the pocket & make the neck closer to the bridge you're going to change the scale length.

If the neck came off the guitar then it should fit back on unless you've changed anything...be honest :D

can you put up some pics to show what the problem is?

Strat® necks will fit into a Tele® pocket and intonate correctly. Gaps will however be apparent at the corners unless you use a 22 fret neck with the appropriate overhang. Tele® necks fit only Tele® neck pockets, they will not fit Strat® pockets correctly nor will they intonate without modifying the heel or the pocket fit.

I knew the neck was a non-original neck, I'm being honest in my description biliosfrog

Any suggestions as to making sure the aligment is ok? It seems like I just can't seem to get the string spacing to stay lined up.

Thanks

I knew the neck was a non-original neck, I'm being honest in my description biliosfrog

Any suggestions as to making sure the aligment is ok? It seems like I just can't seem to get the string spacing to stay lined up.

Thanks

I use pump action clamps (they have softer pads and you can work them with one hand) to hold the neck in place while fastening the screws down. That might help you to get it lined up correctly. You can use a laser to sight from the saddles to the nut to make sure your string lines will be where you want them.

If it's the same neck that came off the guitar, it should go right back on with no problems--unless something has changed.

I've taken my guitars apart who knows how many times to fix or adjust things, and the only time I ever had a problem putting the neck back on was when I did something wrong.

It's a non-stock neck that did not originally go with the guitar. That is (knowingly) how I bought it. However, I did not know that the neck block was rounded while the pocket end was flat (tele style).

It's a non-stock neck that did not originally go with the guitar. That is (knowingly) how I bought it. However, I did not know that the neck block was rounded while the pocket end was flat (tele style).

But still, if it was on there before, then it should just go right back on again. We're trying to figure out why it's not --so the more specific you are, the more help you'll get.

My thought was that, if the neck is rounded and the pocket is square, the neck won't be at all snug in the pocket. Which makes it a pain bolting it back together again and getting it straight.

Or maybe you're worried that having the mismatched neck/heel is going to have a negative impact on the tone?

It has been a terrible pain getting it so that the string spacing on both edges of the fretboard is where it should be at.

So yes, it has been a major pain getting it strait again. It seems every time that I have it straight, by the time I get the screws in and bit by bit tighten each one so that one is not all the way in before the others, the neck shifts and I have to start all over.

Tone I'm not too worried about with this guitar. It sounds good for what it is used for Hard Rock/Metal.

I'm just worried about the neck neing strait and intonation.

Is the neck loose in the pocket? I guess it must be if it is shifing. Can you fit up shims in the pocket. Get it to where it aligns correctly then when you have the correct amount of shim to keep it aligned. glue down the shims, and do a final fit up(sand the added shims just a bit to get the alignment just right). Then bolt it down.

A pic would still be very helpful if you can swing it.

Peace,Rich