Rg-8 Fanned

RGGR

Maybe I missed something while reading, but do you plan on using any reinforcement in the neck, such as carbon fiber rods? I would think 2 more strings might make adjusting your truss rod a bit harsh without extra support. Please correct me if Im wrong, but I think I read somewhere that your average 6 string tuned to 440 has between 180 and 240 pounds of pressure on the neck(depending on string guage, 30 to 40 per string) Im just curious, as I have now been bitten with the 8 string bug. Ideas Ideas Ideas....

Edited by ibanez_crazy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read on Jemsite (now this is the dealer's word and not the company officially) that the RG-8's release has been pushed back due to neck stability issues, and it doesn't sound like they used any secondary support like carbon (or titanium, for the RG550 reissues) rods, so I'm somewhat torn (as I'm building an 8, too) as to what to do as well.

On the other hand, with a multi-lam neck with all that wenge and zebrano involved, it might just be stiff enough with just a truss rod.... maybe?

Edited by Demiurge

Maybe I missed something while reading, but do you plan on using any reinforcement in the neck, such as carbon fiber rods? I would think 2 more strings might make adjusting your truss rod a bit harsh without extra support. Please correct me if Im wrong, but I think I read somewhere that your average 6 string tuned to 440 has between 180 and 240 pounds of pressure on the neck(depending on string guage) Im just curious, as I have now been bitten with the 8 string bug. Ideas Ideas Ideas....

A 6-string guitar probably has 65-80 pounds of string tension overall. A 4-string bass has around 100-110.

Maybe I missed something while reading, but do you plan on using any reinforcement in the neck, such as carbon fiber rods? I would think 2 more strings might make adjusting your truss rod a bit harsh without extra support.

Yeah, I read people using carbon fibre rods, double trussrods, and all that..... as they are worried about neck stability issues.

I'm not sure what to think fo all that. I don't see how cutting an additional trussrod slot in the neck, would help stability. It would only weaken the neck, I think?

In this build I will go for one bass type trussrod. (but have to measure that up exactly).

With all the Wenge and Zebrano in the neck (both incrediable heavy and stable woods) I don't see the need for carbon fibre rods. I see Wenge as a "natural" Carbon fibre. Just a 5-7 piece lamination will already give neck so much more stability....

And Ibanez is having delivery issue with their 8s for completely different reasons. To begin with this guitar is on special order. It's not in your regular store. You have to see this Ibby 8 as a Chrome Boy or any other "special" model they have brought out.

None of these "special" models - Chrome boy, JS PRM, the new Vai 20th......they all will have longer delivery dates.....as they are not produced in the normal Ibanez set-up. They need special tooling, set-ups, etc....... That simply causes delays.

But I would definitely route out an additional 2 channels for carbon / steel rods.
I'm not sure what to think fo all that. I don't see how cutting an additional trussrod slot in the neck, would help stability. It would only weaken the neck, I think?

Jeremy uses the carbon rods on all his 8 string Guitars, But he does build THIN maple necks even than he he told me that they really where not needed at all but he used them just to be safe

I say try the rods and Play it safe, theres really nothing to them in size so the routs in the neck wount really hurt any thing where as routs for the trus rod might

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Not really looking forward to the epoxy mess.

epoxy mess? :D I dont really rember there being that much epoxy, at least not enough to make a mess.

It was really very easy to do

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Route the channels out a very small amount deeper, and a little wider so that the rods fit in snug, and not horribly tight. After you're get them routed right, place masking tape or paint tape over the routed channels and cut the channel area out with an Xacto blade. Get some epoxy on the edges of the carbon / steel rod and get it pushed in nicely. Once you have it down at the correct depth, go over the top of the rod with more epoxy to get it flush, then remove the tape. All the mess comes with the tape.

Edited by Jon

• 1 month later...

With this one, you guys have to be bit more patient. My priority list looks like this:

1. JS-7 (still at painters)

2. Axxion

3. 540Pvii

4. RGT-7 QL RBB XL

5. RG-8 Fanned

6. RG-7 'Cocaine'

7. RG-7 'Darkside of the moon'

8. RG-7 J.Custom 'Bonnie Pink'

9. Maxxax MX-7 (still in planning stages)

I did find a solution for my 8 stringer fanned bridge problem. And solving this problem is 80% of the battle in this build.

Recently, from Dave from FretsOnTheNet.com I ordered a custom neck plate and a custom 7 string triple bucker pup ring.

Quality is top notch, and based on the information I got from the Blackmachine website on the 884, I figure I can have Dave complete me a base plate for these graphite saddles.

PS-8200-01-F.jpg

The bridge won't be grounded (using graphite saddles), but I figure I could achieve the grounding by also designing a custom metal string ferrule plate that will hold all 8 strings and connect a grounding wire to the metal piece and be done with it this way.

I also have the uncut Ebony fretboard in the house, and bought a fretsaw, so i can get cracking on the most difficult part of the build. I will radius the FB using similar set-up Mattia showed some weeks ago.

stratele11.jpg

Although other projects take priority.....I will work on this one as I like, and will keep you guys updated, no worries.

Edited by RGGR

• 3 weeks later...

Made quick stop at my local woodsupplier today.

Browsing through the stocks I bumped into this great Wenge blank that would be perfect as a neck on the Zebrano/Wenge body.

CIMG3281-1.jpg

Doing an all Wenge neck always has been on my list.....so bumping into this blank will probable set things in motion.

I didn't load it in my car yet.....as I have to do some more measurements.

Thinking giving the Zebrano/Wenge body a Wenge/Zebrano neck will be a great combo.

• 6 months later...

you doin' a compound radius on your finger board? looks like the way ur doin' it is pretty tough. i just finess it on the belt sander then finish it off with a flat sanding block, randomly checking it's straightness with a straightedge..

Made quick stop at my local woodsupplier today.

Browsing through the stocks I bumped into this great Wenge blank that would be perfect as a neck on the Zebrano/Wenge body.

CIMG3281-1.jpg

Doing an all Wenge neck always has been on my list.....so bumping into this blank will probable set things in motion.

I didn't load it in my car yet.....as I have to do some more measurements.

Thinking giving the Zebrano/Wenge body a Wenge/Zebrano neck will be a great combo.

As a combination it works really well, and gives a very solid tight low end tone. Very pleasing.

wengezeb8_16.jpg

Keep us updated.

When are you going to wake your eight-string project? I was pretty stoked with that one.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you......

Your Zebrano/Wenge project got me inspired again. Work and life is keeping me away from building lately.

Project also got stalled as I could find right neck blank for this project. Recent trip to local wood supplier got that hurdle covered.

Few days ago, I had Wenge neck blank cut at local Lowe's/Home Depot type store. They provided this service.

Here is rough cut body, with Wenge/Zebrano laminate neck:

CIMG4432.jpg

Added the Ebony fretboard:

CIMG4434.jpg

Added the Fanned fret mock-up:

CIMG4435.jpg

Still lot of work to do. Zebrano Laminates have to be thinned down some. Neck blank has to be glue-ed up.

Body has to be brought to spec........still have blob of wood on jack side......as haven't decided what type op jack configuration this puppy will have (JEM style, or regular RG).

More later....

Edited by RGGR

Good choice of getting this one back on the road....I like the idea of a custom base plate with graphite saddles....

Have you attempted a compound radius before? I don't have enough experience (or the balls) to try one and potentially write off a fingerboard, but I guess with the fanned frets a compound radius will make the end product that much sweeter. What a fun fretjob that will be eh? :-D

This build really is one of those journey builds........some things I haven't figured out yet.

I'm very happy with finding the wood to do a Wenge/Zebrano neck.....and mirror the body wood.

But concerning the bridge and the fanned frets I still have lots of figuring out to do.

It will have fanned frets and it will have a fanned bridge........but for now I'm gonna concentrate on getting the neck blank ready and figuring out this compound curve in the headstock.

884dL.jpg

In headstock I will work with some Zrebrano/Wenge laminates......as I really like how it turned out in my 540Pvii neck.

CIMG3287.jpg

Edited by RGGR

I love laminates in backstraps and headstock caps, pinstripes between neck and binding....where are you considering these?

The Blackmachine headstock looks like it would be stronger if the scarfed headstock wood grain was aligned in the direction (or at least not straight) of the tuners....too much grain runout over the last three strings!! The headstock cap disguises this nicely of course.

Love the way you incorporate your pinstripe line in that neck of yours. Might steal that idea in future build.

Think Zebrano on Blackmachine is just a veneer layer. Mearly just decorative......

Not sure how to I will incorporate the laminates in the headstock yet. Have different size pieces of Zebrano and Wenge in the house, incl veneer....so will work something out.

First have to run mock-up/test piece of how that oddly scaped (angular) headstock will work out. Cause don't like Conklin's solutions of still having triangle of fretboard stick out behind the nut.

fannedfret3octive8.jpg

And there are other cool compound options:

http://www.dingwallguitars.com/images/img_...ockangle_lg.jpg

Edited by RGGR

Hmm....I think I must have misread that initially too, Xanthus. I thought RGGR was going to pop a compound radius on the fretboard....but the headstock? Perhaps the headstock will be slightly twisted to meet the weird nut angle? I wouldn't call it compound, just geometrically perverse if so :-D