Final Wetsanding

yorgo

Not that I've done any sanding to clear coats before, but I don't think I would start at anything lower than 2000-2400. If you can find a boutique wood store, ask around and see if they have MicroMesh, super high grit sandpaper. You can also order it from stewmac, but only if you have an arm and a leg to give them. I got a pack of MicroMesh for 15 bucks at the wood store.

I'd go in one direction only, as much as possible. I've some (apparently) deep swirl marks from where I sanded my original coat of black in circles, but going in one direction should minimalize this. I'd recommend sanding in the same direction that the strings will be strung up, or headstock-to-butt-end if you prefer. And with the sides, always sand long-ways. Watch out for the corners, and good luck! Make sure to buff it out afterwards, unless you're putting more clear on.

Not that I've done any sanding to clear coats before,

The #1 reason why you shouldnt be answering this question.

Especially without asking

What paint?

How many coats?

How dry?

And 2000-2400 is way too fine to start sanding, 2400 is almost a mirror finish....minus a little buffing/swirl remover.

I'm using Lacquer out of spray cans......about 25 coats, then sanded flat and reapplied 8 coats and let dry for a month the second time around.

I usually start with 1500 in one direction. Then 2000 in a perpendicular direction until all of the 1500 scratches are gone. Then I use 3m Trizac 3000 on a 3 inch buffer. After the 3000 only a final polish with 3m PerfectIt is needed as I skipped the cutting compound by using the 3000. This is on 2k clear so I am not versed on the pitfalls of Laquer.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/a...ler/output_html

PaintIt, is that the Trizact you're talking about? The only other Trizact I could find on the 3M website is the abrasive belt.

I'm interested in probably going your way, because there are definitely less steps involved than the way I was going to do it :D Which type of Perfect-It did you use, if you don't mind me asking a whole buncha questions hahaha.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/a...ler/output_html

PaintIt, is that the Trizact you're talking about? The only other Trizact I could find on the 3M website is the abrasive belt.

I'm interested in probably going your way, because there are definitely less steps involved than the way I was going to do it :D Which type of Perfect-It did you use, if you don't mind me asking a whole buncha questions hahaha.

I finish sand with 1200 grit and use 600 for harder to sand area such as horns and cutaways, and 400 for major flaws like runs. After that I use a LMI cut compound, which polishes to a semi gloss but removes just abotu any scratches from 600 grit. I dont like doing too much wet sanding because of obvious danger of the wood swelling. Then followed by LMI fine and superfine compound to get a high gloss. I think I should look into a DA buffer or something similar because doing things by hand is really tiring.