Volume Drop On Just One String?

Lead guitarist in my band has a Les Paul Studio (his baby) that has suddenly developed a problem-- all of a sudden (like, just last week) the volume on the D string dropped. It's noticeably quieter than the other strings through the amp. This is whether it's fretted or not, and on either pickup. He changed the string, on the off-chance that the string was dead, but that didn't help. But I believe the problem showed up shortly after he'd changed the full set of strings a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone have an idea of why this might be?

My instinct is that the bridge saddle is worn out a bit --or maybe the plating (it's gold-colored). Or possibly the new strings are a different brand and a slightly different diameter--could that be enough to screw things up?

I should note that he's had the guitar about 8 years now, it's the only guitar he plays.

We've got a show to do on Friday, it'd be nice to try to resolve this before then.

But I believe the problem showed up shortly after he'd changed the full set of strings a couple of weeks ago.

it might just be that they're a differant composition, has he changed brand/gauge?

My instinct is that the bridge saddle is worn out a bit --or maybe the plating (it's gold-colored).

If the saddle has became loose it could be dampening the string but I doubt something like that would suddenly develop.

An easy fix would be to adjust the pole pieces on his pickups (these honnestly do make a big differance)....either raise the D strings or back off the others.

No answers here, just more of the same line of questioning--

I've noticed that my unwound G on a "light" set of strings (0.010 - 0.046) is just awful. Dead-sounding, tone-deprived, sustain-impaired.

Is that typical? It seems to me just intuitively that this is pretty much par for the course... the unwound G has always felt a bit funny... but I never noticed it as acutely as I do with my new guitar... and confirmation would be appreciated.

Sorry for the semi-hijack. :D

Greg

No answers here, just more of the same line of questioning--

I've noticed that my unwound G on a "light" set of strings (0.010 - 0.046) is just awful. Dead-sounding, tone-deprived, sustain-impaired.

Is that typical? It seems to me just intuitively that this is pretty much par for the course... the unwound G has always felt a bit funny... but I never noticed it as acutely as I do with my new guitar... and confirmation would be appreciated.

Sorry for the semi-hijack. B)

Greg

:D you wuss Greg you want at least 11-56's :D

Personally I think thinker strings do add to the sound...which does make sense in a physics way as you have more magnetic material vibriting infront of the pickup and it is that which is what is causing the sound in the first place.

though it might be that you've just got a bit of a dead string.

I agree that even thicker might solve the problem-- this danged G just feels weird. Almost like plastic. Anyhow. :D

I'm actually thinking of going LIGHTER in guage for the first time ever. I prefer heavier strings (and have used .011's mucho) for the majority of what I do, but lately I'm trying to broaden my horizons with more country-style licks and some semi-shred stuff. Even .010's are making it tricky to do some of the "bend while holding other strings, then bend one of those, too!" techniques from hot country playing.

Er...

IOW, I guess I AM a wuss! You got it right. <laff>

Greg

I didn't realize you can adjust the pole pieces on a humbucker, I'll suggest that to him.

I usually have a problem with the high E in terms of volume. Don't know why. But since that's the first string I usually break, I often end up replacing it with a .013, since I don't want to waste a whole set over it.

I've been thinking about moving up to .011s, but I'm wondering if it's going to be a lot more difficult to play on?

And Greg, I think Rotosound still makes strings with the wrapped G string --could be worth a try.