Series-parallel Wiring Info Needed

MCH

I think may want to try a series/parallel wiring. I want to use a DPDT (on/off/on) style switch and a volume control for each humbucker. I wrestled with the wiring scenario and came up with this.

humbuckerseriesparallelch9.jpg

Is this possibly correct? Electronics is not my forte.

thx

Ok what gives. I must have BO. :D I find it pretty disheartening that with all the capable people here that there is no response to my diagram. I suppose I'll find out when I wire it according to my diagram to see if it works.

Oh well, I tried getting some help.

I notice my other wiring inquiry got no response. Hmmmm!

I apologize if I'm asking very stupid questions. But building guitars is a new thing for me.

Its all out there. Heres something from Guitarnutz I wired my tele in series / parallel using this schematic. There is a bit of a tradeoff with this sort of wiring, parallel ain't that great. Anything wired in parallel results in very much reduced output. Read this: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/serpar.php

In my own experience the pickups wired in series more than makes up for the signal loss with parallel. This is where the DC resistances are combined, hence their respective output signals are combined. It makes for an interesting mix when you are using very dissimilar pickups. :D

Ok what gives. I must have BO. :D I find it pretty disheartening that with all the capable people here that there is no response to my diagram. ...

sheesh, less than 24 hours from the original post, and already we're feeling neglected. B)

anyway here's some Right Guard for ya.

you didn't say what brand of pickups you are using, so i can't verify your color codes, other than to say it resembles SD.

if it is SD, your parallel connection is just going to short out each coil, and leave the output open. not good.

having a middle off position on the switches isn't great, it will leave unused coils hanging from hot. this will be a bit noisier than disconnection them. but if you are determined to do that, so be it.

go here, and use diagram d. http://guitarnuts2.proboards45.com/index.c...ge=1#1157994747

with a DPDT on-on-on it will be a series/split/parallel,

with a DPDT on-off-on it will do what you were trying to do series/off/parallel (and leave a coil hanging from hot, when off),

with a DPDT on/on it will be series/parallel.

so i see no tone control, so i won't bother discussing any possibilities there.

i see one volume control, then the output.

so what happens with the other HB?

does it's volume control just connect at the output jack the same way this one does?

that will work, but remember, if you turn either of the 2 volume controls to zero, you will get NO SOUND. it won't matter if the pickup connected to the zeroed volume pot is on or off.

for single volume controls, audio taper is best.

for multiple controls, linear is much easier to get adjust the mix of the 2 pickups. audio taper pots will drop in volume very quickly when connected this way.

so as best as i can guess what you intend to do, it looks like you want linear taper volume controls.

and next time be patient. :D you know, Archie bunker says :"Patience is a virgin." :D

quote 'sheesh, less than 24 hours from the original post, and already we're feeling neglected.'

I apologize if I seemed short. But since I my other post didn't get any replies after 3days I thought I might have worn out my welcome.

quote ' your parallel connection is just going to short out each coil, and leave the output open. not good.'

I see my error now. I'm not familiar with electronic circuits.

quote 'having a middle off position on the switches isn't great, it will leave unused coils hanging from hot. this will be a bit noisier than disconnection them. but if you are determined to do that, so be it.'

The reason I want to do this was so that I could have a variety of switching capabilities. My plan was to use 3 HB with 3 DPDT (on/off/on) and 3 volume pots. No tone controls. I wanted a clean look. But I may have to rethink my whole scenario now.

Thankyou very much for your reply.

will try to be more patient :D

you're welcome.

no need to apologize, just remember these boards run hot and cold.

sometimes there is lots of activity, sometimes not so much.

i haven't seen all that much of the guys that know how to help on something like this, in the past couple of weeks.

('cept for the sustainer guys, but they're so focused on that, you'd need a spokesmodel to get their attention.)

Robert must be busy lately, and i was surprised to see Southpa posted while i was writing.

so if you don't get a reply in a day or 2, bumping is okay. but getting down about it isn't. :D

hey, if you find it a bit too noisy, or the fact that you can't have a volume control at zero causes you grief,

then you can always come up with a different plan later, and rewire.

:D