Telecaster Pickup Routing

Hi, I am in the middle of making a solid body out of Ash and I am having trouble with finding information about pickup routing. I have searched the forums and can't find how deep I should be routing the pickup cavities and any diagrams on the internet that have measurements on them. The pickups are standard telecaster pickups, the angled bridge one and the straight single neck pickup. If anybody has any computer files of the routing diagram (dxf,dtd,dwg etc.) then that would be extremely helpful as I can route using CAD/CAM. Thanks for Your Time :D:D

There are so many permutations of tele's that this question is like asking what color is purple.

The short answer is deep enough that the specific pickups you are using do not bottom out.

http://www.airos-guitars.com/cad_drawings.htm

I updated this one a long time ago but I don't remember if it has the tele bridge drawing as well. If you plan on using them in cam software check them first. If you are planning to make money of them then bugger off.

Edited by GuitarGuy

There are so many permutations of tele's that this question is like asking what color is purple.

The short answer is deep enough that the specific pickups you are using do not bottom out.

http://www.airos-guitars.com/cad_drawings.htm

I updated this one a long time ago but I don't remember if it has the tele bridge drawing as well. If you plan on using them in cam software check them first. If you are planning to make money of them then bugger off.

Thanks, especially for the CAD drawings and no don't worry I'm not making money out of them, they are for use in a college project. :D :D

"Standard" tele routs are 5/8 in for the neck slot and the pickups.

Thanks for that mate. So should the cavities be deep enough so that the pickups are just not touching the bottom of the cavity or should they sit on the bottom? :D

I think the issue is more about the pickup fitting into the cavity then it sitting against the wood. if you route the cavity to shallow it wont mount with the right height..