Best Way To Start

Hello, I'm a new member obviously, and never tried to build a guitar before. From browsing around the internet it seems that purchasing a guitar building book would be the best starting point. Soo... If anyone has knowledge of various guitar building books could you please point me in the direction of the best one. Any other general starting advice would be appreciated too. :D

Best way to start really is to go to the main Project Guitar site, read everything there. Then order your book(s). Then come back here and start reading --the Strat building thread in the Tutorials section is a good place to start, if the photos ever get back up. And in the project section you'll find a lot of project threads that will pretty much take you from start to finish. By then, your books will be there.

Once your build is underway, do searches for specific questions that come up--and if you can't find the info, post a topic on it...people are pretty helpful, and quick about it too.

Welcome! Have a look around, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. The people here are the absolute best and are always willing to help out a newcomer. I didnt catch your name, also fill in your location too as there might be another builder in the town next you. Take care, -Vinny

I basically read almost every single thread on PG's forum and almost all the tutorials before i even bought the wood.

As for the order of things, check out some of the more established guys on here like Perry Ormsby and check out his works. He keeps a pretty detailed diary of pictures.

I've learned a few things here but there are two reaaaaally important ones.

1) Don't rush. Take your time.

2) Measure at least twice, cut only once.

Hello, I'm a new member obviously, and never tried to build a guitar before. From browsing around the internet it seems that purchasing a guitar building book would be the best starting point. Soo... If anyone has knowledge of various guitar building books could you please point me in the direction of the best one. Any other general starting advice would be appreciated too. :D

There are a number of sources I found useful and I recently posted this list of guitar building resources to my blog in order to document some of them. Top of the list is picking up at least one book, followed by reading through the tutorials on the main Project Guitar site, followed by this forum. There are lots of other useful resources but these will get you pointed in the right direction and give you plenty of food for thought.

Regards,

Rob

Like everyone has said; read, read, read, and read some more. Then once you think you have a good grasp of everything, practice on scrap until you get good at what you read. Scour the internet for anything you might can learn to become better at your craft, and also get some Dan Erlewine videos on fretting, etc. They are very helpful, in that you can actually see the process that goes into it...

Good luck!!