Footswitch Question

Mickguard

I'm putting together a pedal board. My amp has a two-button footswitch --the tip changes the channel, the ring switches the reverb on and off. But instead of using the footswitch, I want to build a switch into the pedalboard--that way I can connect it with a jack instead of lugging around the extra box (the whole idea of the pedalboard is to make it easier to carry everything around and set it up).

Now, I don't need a switch for the reverb --I pretty much leave that on all the time (and the reverb on this amp is pretty minimal anyway, so it doesn't get in the way).

So what I'd like is to build a single switch into the pedal board so that when I plug into the back of the amp, I can control the channel switching, and the reverb just stays on.

Is this possible? Or will the ring on the plug always interfere with the reverb (i.e., turn it off).

I have an old Peavey two-button footswitch here that I can harvest for parts. Each switch has a colored wire and a ground wire coming out of it. I think the Peavey is a stereo switch --there are two rings on the plug.

My idea is that I'd be able to wire one switch to a female jack housed in the pedal board -- am I right in thinking that I can attach only a single colored wire to the part of the jack that connects to the tip? (I'm guessing I'd have to ground the switch and jack to the pedal board itself). Or is this not the way things work at all?

I'm looking for simple...if I have to, I can wire up two switches, and just keep the reverb switch out of the way (assuming I can convert the Peavey switches to work with my amp). But a single switch will be better. I suppose I could live with no reverb, since I have an echo/delay pedal.

Or maybe someone can point me toward a site that explains all this? I couldn't find what I'm looking for. I can't open up the switch box for the amp because I'll end up destroying the box.

i have that setup in my amp. this are the steps i took to do it:

1- make out how the current pedal works. probably you have a stereo input on the back of your amp and one pole is used to switch the reverb and the other the channel. you have to guess which of the tips of the jack turns which. also you should make out if the switching is made by momentary switches or latched. you can guess this using a polimeter; connect it to the tip you are switching and to ground and press the pedal. if you press, it shows current until you press again, then it's latched, if it just shows connection while you press and as soon as you release it stops, the is unlatched (for which my information below won't work :D )

2- knowing this you can just make your own switch. i will explain for latched switches, which is more common btw.

what you should do is connect the switch from the tip which controls the channel to ground ( so that it opens or closes that circuit) and the reverb connect it directly to ground so that it stays always on as soon as you connect the plug at the back of the amp.

that is what i did and it works for me, however it is just for latched switches, and that will probably be your case.

sorry if i didn't explain it too clearly or my english is not clear enough.

bye

that is what i did and it works for me, however it is just for latched switches, and that will probably be your case.

sorry if i didn't explain it too clearly or my english is not clear enough.

No, I think I understand you-- assuming the switch is as you describe (can't see why it wouldn't be), then I can connect the colored/hot wire to the part of the input that accepts the tip of the jack, I connect the ground to the ground on the input. That way the reverb should stay open and the switch only changes the channel (which is indeed at the tip--it's marked on the amp...

Worth a try. Worse comes to worse, it just don't work!

connetion.jpg

that is my vision:

- reverb always connected to ground because my amp switches it on like that.

- switch to change channel.

although i think you found your way, just because i worked my way on paint to make this and didn't want it wasted :D

bye