Help With Reversing Current Pickup Phasing

kidmag

This is my first wiring job on the very first guitar I ever assembled, so please deliver advice in lamen terms please - thank you. I was estatic that for the most part all wiring works fine on my first try, the only problem is the middle position is very weak, so I'm assuming my bridge and neck pups are out of phase with each other?

The bridge pup is a humbucker (4 coil, same color codes as Seymour Duncan), and the neck a P90 (vintage style wiring). Pickup selection is controllable by a 3 way switch. For the HB only there is also an on/on/on mini for parallel/ series/cut.

So if the pups are out of phase when both are on, how would I correct? It was suggested that I just switch the position where the green/bare wires and Black wire from the HB pup connect to the mini switch (this was suggested to me by someone, who said, "they were not sure, but that it should work")..

I've wired the mini toggle from the HB exactly like this diagram from SD's website:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem...t_parallel.html

This other diagram seems to support the thought that I can just switch the green/bare wire position with the black wire to reverse the polarity:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem...ar_w_phase.html

So do you think that would work?? In split mode, would it still cut the coil closest to the bridge? (my hb is not balanced and want to make sure the northern coil is the active one in split mode). THanks again.

...This other diagram seems to support the thought that I can just switch the green/bare wire position with the black wire to reverse the polarity:...

if you do that, the only function that will work properly, will be series.

to complete the change, you also need the exchange the red and white.

EDIT: this statement is WRONG: this will retain the same coil in the split mode. (slug coil, black and white).

as in the original SD drawing, the screw coil (red and green) will be shorted out in split mode.

[rant]this is yet another another example of SD unnecessarily shunting unused coils.

there's a better way to do this, but SD never bothered to spend the 5 minutes necessary to figure it out. [/rant]

cheers,

unk

Edited by unklmickey

Thanks for the response Unk.

So based on your response and all the other info I've been trying to gather, this what I think needs to be done.

Switch the Green and the black wire positions.

Leave the bare wire grounded

Switch the red and the white wire positions.

Is that correct?

O.k. Unk

I've been trying to think through this and I just don't get it. If I make the suggested switches (black for green, red for white), then in coil cut mode, the green will be the only ungrounded wire, which is the screw coil. But I want the screw coil cut, and have the slug coil the active coil.

So are you sure the above noted changes are correct? Trying to think through this again, and bare with me because I'm going soley on information researched on-line, I would think I need to swtich the black with the white and the green with the red. Then in coil cut mode the white would be the only ungrounded wire, which is the slug coil.

What do you think?

... I would think I need to swtich the black with the white and the green with the red. ...

that IS right. that will maintain the same coil usage, but change the polarity of both coils. i'm not sure how i missed that one. i can't even blame it on being unfamiliar with the colors. i draw all my schemes with SD colors.

cheers,

unk