The Mollycaster

our E

Ok guys its time to stand up and be counted.

Last year a friend of mine gave me a piece of ash that used to be a step in his photo studio so in return I made the Mollycaster as a surprise 10th birthday present for his daughter and here it is . your comments would be appreciated.

The step was large enough for 4 guitars and i've just started the last of them.mollycaster.jpg

thanks for the thumbs up guys,

the wood for the neck was in my dads garden shed for 40 years so I liberated it for the project and found the knot when I started work and thought I'd leave it there as a sort of logo

the total cost of this project came to £96 thanks to ebay and wood scrounging.

I'e got no sound clips cause I gave it away and ( confession time ) I can't play !

Very beautiful looking guitar. Anything that looks that good has to sound good. :D I really like the natural finish with the beautiful lustre. Was it an oil finish you used? I've used Tung oil (which usually has a bit of poly in it) and it gives a nice lustre without any buildup.

great work!

I love making designer sawdust.

The finish is melamine lacquer which is applied with a cloth and buffed to a shine.

As for not playing I can make noises but if you asked me to play a tune I couldn't.

I built my first guitar 30 years ago and told myself if I built one I'd learn to play it but I

guess I just never did and that guitar ended up in the loft untll 3 years ago when my son wante to learn.

Since then I've done 4 more so stay tuned as they say !

I showed this pic to a client of mine recently and he said "why would you bother to make it when you can just go to a shop and buy one?"

and you thought all the philistines were long dead

on the design side I tried not to copy any existing style but if youlook in guitar books

it's very difficult not to come up with something that looks a bit like another guitar.

the upper fret access is a bit limited as the guitar is actually about 7/8 scale. it has a scale length of 24.75"

and in order to reduce the reach to the first fret for her (only 10 remember so a small rock godess ) I set the neck into the body a bit morre than usual. I guess I could have cut away the lower horn more but didnt want to compromise the design. Also I wanted to keep it as simple as poss -1 pickup (kent armstrong super distortion) and wraparound bridge to keep it light and cheap.

thanks for the comments guy keep em coming

What a beauty, the silver pick up in the gold frame really works for me, especially on the blonde wood.

The access is the same as a Strat, the cutaway gives easy access to the 21st fret, so the frets (which look to me to go up to 24) past the cutaway are 'extra'. So there is heaps more acess on your guitar than Jimi Hendrix had and he did OK!

It's a fantastic present, if someone had given me a guitar like that when I was 10 I would have been stoked.

the upper fret access is a bit limited as the guitar is actually about 7/8 scale. it has a scale length of 24.75"

and in order to reduce the reach to the first fret for her (only 10 remember so a small rock godess ) I set the neck into the body a bit morre than usual.

i think you did a fine job...having tried to teach a 10 y/o before on guitar,i know what a challenge it is for those tiny hands and arms to reach everything right...and it is definately more important to do it like you did it.at 24.75" scale(same as a les paul)it is still a full size guitar....so she will still be able to use it after she is grown

and you thought all the philistines were long dead

:D

Make no mistake, Philistines are alive and well and everywhere these days.

I really like the guitar - nice job and a great present. Looking forward to the next one.

Kent Armstrong Super Distortion huh? This 10 year old girl must be ready to ROCK...

I can't play either. :D

Fantastic job. Plain "blonde" guitars really do it for me... the elegant simplicity of your design and exectution is great. How does one access the truss rod? Cover held on with magnets? Or did you forego a truss-rod and go old school?

thanks for the feedback ,

the bridge is one I ordered from an ebay store in the USA trouble is I can't remember which one . I'll look through my records and see if I can find out for you . The quality wasn't wonderfull but it was ok .

The trussrod cover is made from the same rosewood as the fretboard and help on with double sided adhesive tape.

I've almost finished a full sized twin pickup version of this guitar so I'll post pics as soon as it's done