Help Make This Guitar Metal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a pretty cool design but its too late now. i already cut it. i test fit it and it doesnt look that crowded, for some reason the cavity for the humbuckers is really big. if i wanted i might be able to fit another humbucker but it would b tight(im not going to put another though). i hav 2 rings around the humbuckers, one for my two super distortions and another for my emg style jackson humbucker. so it doesnt look too crowded, atleast to me. i cut the humbucker cavity really roughly(didnt hav the right tools at the time) so i need to use something to cover it up. im thinking a pickguard, but i want to use my pickup rings still???? i was wondering if theres any cheap and thin material that i can use as a pickguard.

He's just kidding. That's not the same body. There's no way. I hope.

As for pickups surrounded by studs... nothing in the world could look LESS metal than that. Studs stopped being metal the day everyone in the metal community realized they looked homosexual. Mind you, homosexuality and metal go together fairly well (case in point: Rob Halford) so if you're after the homosexual side of metal, by all means-- studs it is.

Greg

gitarrkropp-1.jpg

what about cutting it something like this...

3 humbuckers...with studs around them...isn't that gonna look way crowded?

Just for the sake of decency, I'm not going to comment on the result :D But as a side note, that modified design looks AWESOME!! Maybe you can fill a few of the more gaping holes and make it something like that. Oh hell, I might as well just get out a block of pine and do it myself, I really like the look of that body!

While I thought that body would have been metal enough with a quality finish, good pickups, and maybe some creative inlay work, I think this body can still be saved despite what it looks like now.

You'll definitely need to do some more cutting at the butt of the guitar to get rid of that quasi-monkey-grip hole. Take a look at Neil Moser's adaptations of the classic BC Rich shapes- in many cases he would make dramatic, sweeping, creepy-looking cuts at that end of the guitar and they certainly look metal enough. Just thin out the treble-side's horn a bit, too, and it might just work.

nar salvage it

i bet ONE of the reasons why i looks like rubbish its from all the white paints and stuff one top

prove us wrong

seriously stick with it

thank you i think it doesnt look really that bad. i still need to sand down the edges and clean it up. other than that pickup cavity(i dont know how it came out that bad) i think the body is in good condition. i see it as loved and not destroyed. ill sand the crappy paint/bondo/marker combition i hav on top and show you that the wood is still good. im devoted to making this work.

It's good to be devoted, but it wasn't smart to practice on a perfectly good body. You have now created more work than you should have in this learning process. Why practice painting on a body if you know it's going to turn out bad? You'll be spending 2-3 hours sanding down the body each time you practice painting if you're doing it by hand. You'll be spending many hours filling each of those holes, because I guarantee you wont be able to fill them in one try. I guess you'll learn some repair techniques in this process.

other than that pickup cavity(i dont know how it came out that bad) i think the body is in good condition.

You honestly do not know why it came out bad? It's because you used a hand tool with no prior experience. A simple rule to that is - Good wood + No hand tool experience = not pretty wood! Either practice with a chisel on scrap wood or purchase a router and templates - either will yield nice results with proper experience. The router will definitely require less overall experience and practice to get down.

The body may be in fair condition. But you're better off starting over.

Either practice with a chisel on scrap wood or purchase a router and templates

Actually, I think that he has messed up the the pickup cavity with a router but without using a template or at least a guide.

I would route the messed up cavity square, then glue a wood block into it and re-route the whole thing this time using a template or a guide.

100_1523.jpg

I had a "puking" .gif that I posted in this space originally, which is apparently no longer showing up...

But in anycase, that body looks horrible. You seriously need to take a step back and reflect on what you did, because it's beyond bad.

Buy a book or read this website over a little bit more and plan your next project a little more carefully, because as far as I'm concerned, that thing is dead in the water.

25191896.puke.gif

Edited by levelhead86

Either practice with a chisel on scrap wood or purchase a router and templates

Actually, I think that he has messed up the the pickup cavity with a router but without using a template or at least a guide.

I would route the messed up cavity square, then glue a wood block into it and re-route the whole thing this time using a template or a guide.

A router would yield much smoother results. The edges look too roughed up to be done with a router.