Help Make This Guitar Metal

The first thing I would do is find the beaver that got at the pickup cavity and make yourself a nice hat out of him. Strip or sand all of the paint off. Fill in the pickup cavity with a solid block of wood. Take those 6 weird placed hole and fill them with dowels. If you're going hardtail, fill what appears to be the trem cavity through cut with a block of wood. Next thing I would do is go with a Kelly style lower horn. That long sharp point doesn't compliment the rest of the body. The body is very rounded except for that area which is all stright lines and possibly thin out the horn. After that I think the design has merit. But you are in for A LOT cutting and gluing blocks and filling in gaps. Once you get it cleaned up and redesigned, please post again.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats cutting the bridge mounting a little close??? especially if using a trem?

Curtis

I actually don't know what that hole back there is supposed to be...looks like a trem-route...but about 1 dm away from where it's supposed to be..

I'd say just fill in everything... cut the crap...away.

Throw on a wraparound.

Take your time and do it RIGHT...if you feel the need to suddenly try an "awesome idea"....do it on scrap.

I agree with aidlook.

Cut the body like that, and get a wraparound bridge from guitarfetish. I used one just recently, and they are very good quality, especially for the price.

Fill in the humbucker routs and try again. To fill in massive holes like that, use polyfil (drywall filler and a router to give it a smooth bottom, then cut a matching plug (to the body wood) and put it in). After doing that, just use rails to make a new route for the three humbuckers again, bit this time use a pattern bit to follow the rail, and you'll have a nice square cavity to use with a pickguard.

The guitar is definately not beyond repair, but will take work to get a decent finish. The key thing to remember is that no matter how hardcore or extreme the guitar is, it's still got to be clean cut and well done to be a good guitar (examples: Neil Moser or even MetalMatt from our forum).

im planning on doing a guitar properly soon but im sick of having seeing this guitar sitting around, and not working, so i decided to hav fun w/ a jigsaw and some chisels. that design you guys want me to do would go right the cavity in the lower left corner, so sorry, i probably wont happen.

...fill the cavity

• 2 weeks later...