Candy Apple Red

ddgman2001

Check with House of Kolor, PPG, or DuPont. If you like the Cadillac color, you can probably find the match for that. I don't think any of them are going to give you the look of depth of a real candy apple though. You really need the metallic base coat, candy top to get that effect.

I used a bottle of premixed candy apple red from HoK for my project.

http://public.fotki.com/Xanthus/build_1/0115071222.html

That's it right there, after a coat or two of clear. Regardless of what brand you get, be sure to strain the paint before you spray it... I figured that "premixed" meant "ready-to-go" and apparently not. Now I've got this speckled effect on the entire red. Not that it looks BAD per se, I just wasn't going for a textured look.

Anyone know of an Automotive basecoat color that would pass for Candy Apple Red?

Trying to spray a clean ground coat, then candy over top is making my life miserable. I've seen a Cadillac STS recently that looked pretty close.

HOK Kandy basecoat is what you need. It is a mix of Kandy and Shimrin pearl to create a basecoat candy that is easy to spray. The color you need is KBC-11 ( Apple Red - Kandy Base Coat) over FBC-11 ( Cinder Red - Shimrin fine metallic ) Even though it is a basecoat the base color does have an effect on the color in the end. Spray it over black and it is deep red and over the cinder it is like a true candy over silver base. I play with the base color when I use it and you can just use medium primer color to get different shades of the red. Her is a picture of my latest project using Kandy Basecoat Brandywine over medium grey sealer. not a guitar but the paint is the focus here.

F61A4E8FCA3B428B8EA55C8F293B1FF4.jpg

68DAD5BF67C045469CA1C9BB6D479430.JPG

89814A80960943E6898C7FB50D50EE50.jpg

Now thats hot.

We did this sunburst with candy colors, not stains.

PIC_0517.JPG

PIC_0412.JPG

The burst is very nice and suttle color change. I really like using the Kandy Koncentrates in Intercoat clear when doing stuff like that. Sprays and dries like basecoat and cna be played with before final clear. Less build in the candy stage also.

I was going to have our car resprayed gold, and then given a serious dark cherry red kandy over the top, but I couldn't convince my wonderful wife of such a thing. As it turned out, we could have gone that far but hey - no regrets in life man!

Your bike frame looks awesome...how does the colour look under bright light considering it's silver base? This is why we were going gold first....I wish HOK jobs weren't so expensive.

</cry cry cry>

Your bike frame looks awesome...how does the colour look under bright light considering it's silver base? This is why we were going gold first....I wish HOK jobs weren't so expensive.

</cry cry cry>

Remember this is not a true candy this is a House of Kolor KBC ( kandy basecoat ). HOK mixies candy and pearl basecoat together to make a paint that sprays like base coat and looks like candy without the difficulty that makes candy expensive. The base color does make a differnce on ho dark it looks in the end on this stuff. $50.00 or so for a quart of paint and quart of reducer. You would only need about 8-10 ounces ready to spray on a quitar body. coast airbrush sells small quantities of HOK if you do not wna tot buy so much.