Visiting Rivolta At The End Of March: Spruce Top Group Buy?

Short and sweet: I'm visiting Rivolta in late March to hand-pick a bunch of Italian Spruce tops, if anyone wants some, gimme a shout. Hoping to get a nice discount by buying a ton. I don't figure there are a lot of folks here interested, but the OLF's a touch busier.

Rough guide: their AAA grade (I) is about 32 bucks, their master grade (E) is about 54 bucks. Last time I went, I was planning on getting 5 grade E tops, came back with 7 grade I tops and 3 grade E tops; grade I (AAA) is the best value, very nice, stiff, resonant wood, may have a bit more colour/striping or slight wiggle in the grain than the grade E, which is generally very, very uniform. Bearclaw also available without upcharge. Riwoods.com is the website, if you want to sniff around; I visited them about a year and a half ago, and had a great time sifting through massive piles of spruce.

Lemme know...

Mattia

I've been away in London.

Have I missed out?

Since the flow stalled as soon as I mentioned I might get swamped, and wasn't, I'll let you in on this if you want some. Shoot me a PM with sizes (acoustic or classical), grades (I or E), and any specific requirements (I'm assuming the order of importance is light, stiff, even grain).

Have I missed out?

Since the flow stalled as soon as I mentioned I might get swamped, and wasn't, I'll let you in on this if you want some. Shoot me a PM with sizes (acoustic or classical), grades (I or E), and any specific requirements (I'm assuming the order of importance is light, stiff, even grain).

Just wondering, is there a sound difference between master grade and lower grade, or just cosmetic? Thanks

Have I missed out?

Just wondering, is there a sound difference between master grade and lower grade, or just cosmetic? Thanks

Sound-wise? No real difference whatsoever, methinks. The master grade tops tend to be more regular, tighter/more even grain spacing, less colour (no darker lines), etc.

This is a grade AA top, used on my first guitar:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics/top_gc1_06.jpg

Grade AAA (I) top, less colour, still some, wide-ish grain spacing (still very stiff, some character to it), can have a bit of wiggle:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics/Top_GAB1_06.jpg

Master: straghter grain, even grain spacing progression, good stiffness, less colour:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics2.../ItalianE_1.jpg