Truss Rods

I know someone is going to say 'Search Feature' but i have used that and im just getting more confused. This is my first build and im regretting the decision to build the neck.

Anyway my problem is that i have bought a single action truss rod, it is sqare not U-Shaped. Now everywhere i look i am being told that i need to route a curved channel which makes sense, but when i rang up David Dyke's i explained that i was an idiot and that this is my first project and asked him to suggest a truss rod. He suggested the single action one that i bought saying that its easy to fit because i dont need to route a curved channel.

SO now my brain hurts :D

Can anybody help me, are they any tutorials preferably which pictures.

Sorry for being so dumb, Adam. :D

I know someone is going to say 'Search Feature' but i have used that and im just getting more confused. This is my first build and im regretting the decision to build the neck.

Anyway my problem is that i have bought a single action truss rod, it is sqare not U-Shaped. Now everywhere i look i am being told that i need to route a curved channel which makes sense, but when i rang up David Dyke's i explained that i was an idiot and that this is my first project and asked him to suggest a truss rod. He suggested the single action one that i bought saying that its easy to fit because i dont need to route a curved channel.

SO now my brain hurts :D

Can anybody help me, are they any tutorials preferably which pictures.

Sorry for being so dumb, Adam. :D

Give us a link or show us a picture of your truss rod. Some use square routes, and some use rounded.

Ok here are some pictures, from your wording tho i think you miss understand me. I understand that because the truss rod is square i need a sqare rod channel, but i do not know if i need a curved (deeped in the middle than at the ends) channel or just a flat channel because the man at David Dykes said i didnt need a curved channel.

truss 1

truss 2

truss 3

truss 4

Thanks

It looks a lot like the one that came with my Martin acoustic kit. That neck has a flat channel. The rod came with the open side covered by tape, and the instructions, such as they were, said to install it tape side down.

If I'm mistaken, I'm sure I'll be corrected soon. I'd wait for confirmation if I were you.

2 other points:

1. You want to make sure not to get glue on any of the moving parts of the truss rod (hence the tape).

2. Don't put yourself on a timeline, and don't be in a hurry (with either your project or this forum). You'll regret it. I've made too many of those mistakes.

Good luck

Doug

It looks a lot like the one that came with my Martin acoustic kit. That neck has a flat channel. The rod came with the open side covered by tape, and the instructions, such as they were, said to install it tape side down.

If I'm mistaken, I'm sure I'll be corrected soon. I'd wait for confirmation if I were you.

2 other points:

1. You want to make sure not to get glue on any of the moving parts of the truss rod (hence the tape).

2. Don't put yourself on a timeline, and don't be in a hurry (with either your project or this forum). You'll regret it. I've made too many of those mistakes.

Good luck

Doug

cheers for the advice, if your suggesting i may have got an accoustic truss rod i was beginning to think the same thing:( all the truss rod help is on the 'Hot-Rod' and im getting a bit miffed because im stupid and dont know how to fit this thing.

Cheers anyway.

I'm not implying you got the wrong rod. As long as it's long enough it will work for an electric.

This is similar to the one I have. If it's what you have, you may be good to go. It shows a square channel and is installed open side down:martin-style truss rod

I think you should double check with the people you got it from, just to be sure. Just because it looks like mine doesn't necessarily mean it is like mine (and most of my experience is with the hot rod too).

Doug

Its very similar, in size and shape, but on mine the walls of the U (that face down) are not bevelled like that one, its hard to explain.

It looks sorta Like this |o| not that that helps at all i guess.

I have had a word with my dad and we've come to an agreement on how we think we're gunna do it.

We are going to route a flat channel with the adjustable end at the headstock, making it a snug fit so it wont move around and it also wont be anchored. We will not use a fillet just glue the fretboard on above it (i have no intention in adjusting the truss rod after initial set up). We're gunna test this on a scrap piece of wood first and ill try and get some pictures to see if its right.

Does this sound right? If so please say. Thanks Doug for all your help tho.

Adam

Original poster - that is a Martin style u-channel trussrod. Install it in a flat channel, with the open face of the channel facing down. It can be installed with a fillet on top, or without, no practical difference, except that a fillet will require a deeper route, so your neck will need to be a little thicker than without.

I glue my trussrods in with epoxy, since I believe it adds significant stiffness to the neck, and I have no intention of removing the rods.

Original poster - that is a Martin style u-channel trussrod. Install it in a flat channel, with the open face of the channel facing down. It can be installed with a fillet on top, or without, no practical difference, except that a fillet will require a deeper route, so your neck will need to be a little thicker than without.

I glue my trussrods in with epoxy, since I believe it adds significant stiffness to the neck, and I have no intention of removing the rods.

Thankyou very much Setch, thats what we we're going to do, so thankyou for putting my mind at rest, is gluing necessary and does it make much difference if i choose not to?

Adam

If you rout the channel so it is a really tight fit for the rod you could probably get away without gluing it, but it is better to glue it.

A trick to avoid getting glue on the actual rod inside the U-channel is to get an ordinary drinking straw and cut it length ways, and wrap it around the rod.

Also avoid getting glue on the adjusting thread, or the rod will be useless.