Fretboard Straightedge

wolfcoast

This is very simple but wanted to put it up for those that may not have thought of it.

I didn't want to pay a large price for the StewMac Straightedge that has fret notches so here's what I did.

I already had the template for fret slot cuttings from stew mac so I laid it on an extra 18" straightedge I had sitting about and marked the notches on the straightedge with a Permanent marker.

After that, I simply took a file and filed notches on each mark that were deep enough to go over frets.

Voila, straight edge that can be used on a fretted board. I only did the 25.5 scale as that's what I mostly use, but you can use any of the fretboard templates to notche both sides of a straight edge for use on other scale lengths.

Hope that helps somebody.

Randy

Yup. Been there, done that. But you don't need the fret slot templates. Just stick it next to the guitar neck in question and mark off the fret locations. I use the inexpensive aluminum rulers from the hardware store. You just need to have one good straightedge to check that the other ones are really straight before you notch them.

Another Idea for $23 plus shipping

Lee Valley's Veritas 24 " aluminum straight edge. Since its aluminum you can cut it with any saw, preferably a table saw. Mark the fret positions, cut it, and you have a very accurate straight edge made from a straight edge. You can also trim this one to length, a truly custom tool with no skimping on quality.

Link

Lee Valley Aluminum Straight Edge

Woodenspoke