Material Finish Question

Hey all, first time post here.

I was at the Project guitar site and was interested in the material finish tutorial. I was wondering if this type of finish can be done with something other than the material used in the tutorial. There was a mention of printed photos as a material and was wondering if anyone knows how that is done? Ive always had an idea to use photo/s as a covering but until seeing the material tutorial, didnt know how things like clear and woodfiller and sanding would affect the photo covering. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I don't see why you couldn't. There guitars out there with "photoflame" tops which essentially are photos of flamed maple (not even a lousy paper-thin veneer!!!) glued to the top of the body. I guess what kind of paper the photo is printed onto would affect the reaction to the filler (which would be already dry and underneath the pic) and whichever clear you use.

Ive done 3 fabric finishes, first on a strat style...trial and error, the rounded corners made it difficult, so the burst came in so far that you hardly saw the fabric....scrapped. The next was on an RG, and it turned out good, but I layed the clear on to thick to fast, humid day, not enough retarder, and got bubbles. Also when wetsanding, because I didnt seal the pickup routs, the cloth soaked up just enough water to push up the clear and make it cloudy. 3rd was also on an RG, and worked out the best so far. Needed more wetsanding, but again it was trial and error. Now come spring time, I was going to try a heavyweight paper finish (alchemy gothic poster) and see what happens. Ive practiced enough to be confident in trying new things, and like was said, if not, just sand and start over.