This Is A Weird One

Gillactus

So I've got a pair of EMG 85's in my RG770, standard volume/tone/3way. They've been simply amazing for the past couple of years, but lately they've developed a rather strange problem. The volume on my high E, and only my high E, is considerably lower than the volume of the other strings. Checked the guitar itself over and over, no fretting out or any other problems of the like and the high E sounds normal when the guitar is unplugged. Battery is fine as well, replaced it just in case but it did nothing. I even emailed EMG and the tech was stumped.

I guess my next step is to replace the wiring, but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or has had a similar experience before I spend money on the new pots, switch and jack.

Check out your strings. If you are using light strings and they are corroded over the pickup, the light magnetic fields in EMG's may make them particularly sensitive to such things. COuld be that there is not enough metal meat vibrating over the pickups...

just a thought... pete

The reason why I suggested replacing the cap was because it could be bad and bleeding off high frequencies. The other problem also have to do with the internal preamp inside the pickups malfunctioning. If neither is the problem, it could just be a quirk of the guitar or something else in the signal chain, like the amp or some malfunction effect unit.

If a solder joint is bad (cold, cracked etc.) it will change the resitance and therefore, coupled with the capacitors in your guitar circuitry, will change the filtered frequencies. If need be, and this is quite simple and easy, inspect all the solder joints. Make sure they are shiney, not excessive, and show no obvious flaws like cracks or lines. If they do, remove the old solder and apply new solder. Or use a "shotgun" approach and just resolder all connections, remove the old solder first though.

Peace...Rog

• 2 weeks later...