Vintique Neck Kit

I saw this and it seemed interesting:

neckplatekq3.jpg

link to neck kit page

Basically it looks like the idea is that you plug some metal screw guides (is that what they're called? they look like the same things tremelo bolts are screwed into) into the neck so the screws can grip with a stronger connection and also eliminate the need for plugging and redrilling neck holes, which interests me because I'd like to convert a 3 bolt Fender 70's reissue neck into a 4 bolt.

Any thoughts on this idea? How would you install these things in the neck in the first place? just drill a big enough hole and squeeze em in there? any other place to get them without having to spend $90 on a "super deluxe neck kit"?

thanks!

James

Edited by tremendousOt

The "metal screw guides" name escapes my mind, bah! But there are a few builders here that use them. They're threaded, like screws. So you get the hole about the same size as the "metal screw guide" and then screw it in. It's a much better system than using screws, I plan on going this route on future builds.

Any thoughts on this idea? How would you install these things in the neck in the first place? just drill a big enough hole and squeeze em in there? any other place to get them without having to spend $90 on a "super deluxe neck kit"?

Someone should be able to provide you with a link on how to get the "metal screw guides", I remember them being about $1 or less each. $90 for that kit is absurd.

Or regular threaded inserts from, y'know, Home Depot. They have them as well. Alternately, McFeely's has nice deep thread steel inserts (mcfeelys.com). They're not the msot common hardware in the world, but they're not uncommon. I've never used them on electric necks (don't see the point/feel the need), but I use them on my acoustics.

Why would you need 10 screws in a bolt-on neck? I mean I don't see the point in a strat or tele neck; I don't un-bolt them that often, and a screw-to-wood connection is plenty strong enough with good screws :D

Best shot I've got of my butt-jointed acoustic bolt-on:

Neck_GAB1_14.jpg

Basically, holes go through the headblock, bolts go in, pull the neck flush. Taylor was doing it this way before they went to their precision-CNC'd NT joint (essentially the same as the pictured joint, in a shallow tenon, finely adjustable shims, and an extension under the fingerboard), and a lot of builders use bolt-on necks these days. Cheap guitars use glued on necks (non-dovetail), because it's simple and easy. Bolts require a little more fiddling/more parts, but allow very easy neck resets. If it's good enough for a 20,000 dollar Kevin Ryan guitar, it's certainly good enough for me.

I didn't build that one, although the neck looks a LOT like the 8-string neck I built recently. Really, it's a coin toss between set-necks and bolt-ons for me. I know I may be going with a set-neck for some builds just because I do not want any of those bolt-on holes showing in the wood!