Routing Speed For Inlays

Inisheer

Since I can't do much with my project right now (waiting for parts) I thought soon I could practice inlays. I have searched every topic I could find about inlays but could not find one thing. What speed does the dremel need to be when routing for inlays? My dremel is, I think, about 35,000 rpm. I haven't used it for routing purposes before and I don't know if this is too fast and will burn the wood. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Depends on the bit, feed rate, etc. Higher speed is best, but it goes hand in hand with a higher feed rate, and you may need to take out the material in multiple passes, depending on the wood. Put it this way: I'm considering getting an air-powered die grinder for inlay that goes twice as fast as my dremel.

This is probably personal perference on this one. I use several Dremel Digitals. Highly recommend. The digital is a lot easy to set the exact speed you like. I use 22K. Seems to work on just about everything. Best thing to do is try it and figure out what works for you and your eyes and your hands.

Edited by cSuttle