Squier Showmaster Question

DrummerDude

Hi guys, I want to buy a pre-made neck for my future project.

I was offered a neck from a Squier Showmaster NLT HSS (it has a reversed headstock and I like it because of this).

The guy who is selling it lives in another city and I don't have access to the neck. Some other guy adviced me not to buy this neck - he claims that Showmaster necks are too thick. Thicker than the necks of the rest of the Squier guitars.

Is this true? Do Showmasters really have thicker necks than the other Squiers?

Thanks.

Even if it does, it's easy enough to reshape the neck to your liking.

But what's thicker? My understanding of the Squier line is that they're reduced in size compared to the main Fender line (just like the Fender Mexican guitars are slightly smaller than the MIA guitars).

So that would mean that if this Squier is 'thicker', then it's probably a normal size neck.

Yes, I could re-shape the neck to make it just a *little bit* more thin but this is exactly the thing I am trying to avoid.

I just need the right pre-made neck to use with my project and I don't want to mess with any neck work. Normally it all ends up with a warped neck. been there, done that.

Anyway, i don't care about making my own neck or repairing a pre-made neck, so my question remains open:

Does the Squier Showmaster have a thicker neck than the rest of the Squier models?

Any online references that could help me out with this issue? Any Squier neck measurements online, neck profile diagrams, etc... ?

I already tried Google without any luck which is kind of strange because Squiers are quite popular and there should be a lot of info on these guitars out there.

You know, you're falling into a pattern: you ask a question, ignore the response, ask the same question again. Chances are you'll ignore the next response too.

So I'll ask you my own question: how the hell can any of us tell you if this is exactly the neck you need for your project?

Wait a second...you're a drummer?

Yes, I could re-shape the neck to make it just a *little bit* more thin but this is exactly the thing I am trying to avoid.

I just need the right pre-made neck to use with my project and I don't want to mess with any neck work. Normally it all ends up with a warped neck. been there, done that.

Anyway, i don't care about making my own neck or repairing a pre-made neck, so my question remains open:

Does the Squier Showmaster have a thicker neck than the rest of the Squier models?

Any online references that could help me out with this issue? Any Squier neck measurements online, neck profile diagrams, etc... ?

I already tried Google without any luck which is kind of strange because Squiers are quite popular and there should be a lot of info on these guitars out there.

Here's what you do:

1. Get yourself one of them nifty digital calipers and go to your local purveyor of Squier-type stuff and measure a few.

2. Make notes.

3. Contact that feller with the Showmaster neck and have him measure at the same places you did on your test subjects.

4. Make notes.

5. Compare.

6. Extrapolate and conclude.

:D

You know, you're falling into a pattern: you ask a question, ignore the response, ask the same question again. Chances are you'll ignore the next response too.

So I'll ask you my own question: how the hell can any of us tell you if this is exactly the neck you need for your project?

Nah, my friend, I think you're the drumemr here.

I tend to ask the same question simply because no body is answering it. I will try to give you more details, even though it's the same information from my very first post. Here we go:

I don't want to do any neck-related work. I DO NOT. (I thought that this was obvious from my first post where I clearly stated that I need a pre-made neck)

Do you read me? A PRE-MADE neck. A readily built, fretted and shaped neck that I could just fit into a piece of wood named a guitar body. And obviously I am going to build just the body minding the neck and bridge measurements.

I am not ignoring your responce.

I'm simply not getting any response that relates to my question.

And the question is NOT whether I could or I could not make a thick neck more thin.

The question is: "Is a Squier Showmaster neck thicker than a Squier Fat Strat® or a Squier Affinity neck"?

You either know the answer or you don't.

I didn't see any answers so far, so, obviously, I will have to keep asking and keep "ignoring" bullshit responses until somebody who actually knows the answer replies.

So, thanks again you for your advice, but it simply does not answer my question. I hope you do understand why I have to ask it over and over again.

@marksound, I thought of doing this but it turned out that there are no any Squiers in the local store. They are selling almost anything but Squiers.

Yeah, it's a f*cked up situation, I know.

That's why I need your help, guys.

Edited by DrummerDude

Thanks weezerboy. A neck that is a tiny bit wider is just OK with me. Actually it would fit my hand very well.

I've checked the neck width specs on Squier's website and there is some variation indeed. This is because they are making repros of old Stratocasters with different neck profiles and all.

It really sucks that they didn't say anything about neck thickness... I mean, what the heck - neck thickness is often what makes a neck feel "vintage" or modern.

I guess I will just have to buy that Squier Showmaster neck and hope that it won't be too thick for my liking.

I'm also considering the idea of making the fretboard a bit longer and installing a few more frets. This would suck because I hate to do any neck work.

I also don't know if this is a common practice or if it would work at all.

Edited by DrummerDude

I guess I will just have to buy that Squier Showmaster neck and hope that it won't be too thick for my liking.

I'm also considering the idea of making the fretboard a bit longer and installing a few more frets. This would suck because I hate to do any neck work.

If you are going to do that, you might as well just build the entire neck. The fretboard/fret work for me is by far the most difficult part of the whole neck building process. Since you can't just "extend" the fretboard, you would have to replace the entire fretboard.

If you are going to do that, you might as well just build the entire neck. The fretboard/fret work for me is by far the most difficult part of the whole neck building process. Since you can't just "extend" the fretboard, you would have to replace the entire fretboard.

I guess I could extend the fretboard a little bit without having to re-build a whole new neck or fretboard but then you are right that even the smallest fret job would be too much trouble. Especially for a lazy guy like myself.

I think I'll just skip that part and leave the fretboard the way it is.

Nah, my friend, I think you're the drumemr here.

I tend to ask the same question simply because no body is answering it. I will try to give you more details, even though it's the same information from my very first post. Here we go:

I don't want to do any neck-related work. I DO NOT. (I thought that this was obvious from my first post where I clearly stated that I need a pre-made neck)

Do you read me? A PRE-MADE neck. A readily built, fretted and shaped neck that I could just fit into a piece of wood named a guitar body. And obviously I am going to build just the body minding the neck and bridge measurements.

I am not ignoring your responce.

I'm simply not getting any response that relates to my question.

And the question is NOT whether I could or I could not make a thick neck more thin.

The question is: "Is a Squier Showmaster neck thicker than a Squier Fat Strat® or a Squier Affinity neck"?

You either know the answer or you don't.

I didn't see any answers so far, so, obviously, I will have to keep asking and keep "ignoring" bullshit responses until somebody who actually knows the answer replies.

So, thanks again you for your advice, but it simply does not answer my question. I hope you do understand why I have to ask it over and over again.

@marksound, I thought of doing this but it turned out that there are no any Squiers in the local store. They are selling almost anything but Squiers.

Yeah, it's a f*cked up situation, I know.

That's why I need your help, guys.

::sigh::

Just call Warmoth and order what you want and be done with it. Seriously.

No one here is going to be able to answer your question. No one anywhere can answer your question. Why? Because. Buy the damn neck and report back to us. Or not. Either way, make a decision and stop putting it all on everyone else. In other words ... never mind.

No one here is going to be able to answer your question. No one anywhere can answer your question. Why? Because. Buy the damn neck and report back to us. Or not. Either way, make a decision and stop putting it all on everyone else. In other words ... never mind.

It's VERY simple and VERY obvious - I just thought that there were people on this board who have Squiers in their collection and who could simply give me some figures.

Is it that hard to measure the neck thickness of your Squier (if you have one) and post the measurements here?

This is all I need.

Oh, I see, you don't have a Squier and you can't help me... Then why the heck are you posting?

And why don't you leave it to the guys who actually *DO* have Squiers and *COULD* give me any answers that make sense?

Why do you think that "no one anywhere" can answer my question? You really think that using calipers is that hard?

I hope you've noticed that I put this thread in the "Player's corner", not in the "Solid body chat".

Ever wondered why?

Do you play a Squier? Can you give me any measurements?

In case that you can't: Would you stop posting BS?

I don't think that measurements will help you even if anyone did post them...guitar necks are all slightly different, some are marginally thinner, thicker, wider, rounder...it's a personal thing. You could commission a custom neck to the thickness that you want & it might not be quite the right shape...or you could buy the squier neck, it might be a little thicker but it might be the most comfortable neck you've ever played. It's a very personal thing & even if someone did post the specs on here it wouldn't tell you whether or not you'd like it.

It's a little like buying clothes...you'd expect a 32" waist to be universal but slight differences in materials, cut, design etc. all contribute to the final look & feel so getting someone else to try clothes for you isn't going to work unless you're an identical twin.

I'd just buy the neck & re-shape it or sell it if you don't like it.

Mickguard, yes, I am an asshole, but it deffinitely is not not my attitude, man.

And I am not putting it on everyone else.

It is just that no one seems to read what I am asking for and people keep giving me offtopic smartass advices that do not relate to my question.

Once again: this is a thread dedicated to Squier necks.

SQUIER NECKS.

Not Warmoth necks, not home-built DIY necks, not even cheapo paddle headstock necks but Squier necks. And Squier Showmaster necks in particular.

Read the thread's title, for Christ's sake.

I am looking for people who have a Squier and can give me some measurements. And that's it.

Edited by DrummerDude

biliousfrog, you're probably right.

Let's just hope that this guy will sell me the Showmaster neck because at the moment he is looking for a standard Squier neck to replace his Shoqmaster reversed headstock neck with.

If he can't find a standard neck, he will keep the original and I'd be screwed anyway.

Here ya go: Squier Forum

Yeah, yeah, I know, that's not answering your exact question either.

Even though the answer remains: no one can tell you the measurements of that neck except the guy who owns it. And even still, there's no certainty you'll like it, even if the measurements match what you're looking for. Is there no way to drum that into your head?

Here ya go: Squier Forum

Yeah, yeah, I know, that's not answering your exact question either.

Even though the answer remains: no one can tell you the measurements of that neck except the guy who owns it. And even still, there's no certainty you'll like it, even if the measurements match what you're looking for. Is there no way to drum that into your head?

Now that IS a useful link. Thank you!

I should have Googled for a Squier forum but the drummer in me made me post here first.

To answer your statement: well, it is more likely that I will enjoy the neck's feel if it is slim and fast than if it is a thick piece of wood.

I'd like to use any slim, C-shaped neck.

If it turns out that the neck is too thick (and that's why I need the measurements in advance) I sure as hell will not buy the thing. Hope you get the idea.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by DrummerDude

Yeah, but there is that guy (mentioned about him in the first post) who swears that Showmasters have a thicker neck.

The Squier company is making diferent repros of vintage Fenders and the neck thickness and profile varies from model to model. Even ont he new series.

I hope that I will get the Showmaster measurements from the Squier forum.

Thanks.

Do you play a Squier? Can you give me any measurements?

A. Yes, I have more than one Squier.

B. No, I won't.

Why? Because they vary. They all vary. "Is a Showmaster neck bigger than other Squiers?" Who knows? No one has all the other Squiers to measure. You're asking the impossible, and you don't accept the answers you get anyway. So there you are.

:D