Routing For A Floating Trem

im rebuilding a guitar and i want to replace the standard fender style trem it came with with a Edge Pro trem.

The only thing is i have no idea how to do it. :D

if anyone is experienced at this, could they please give me a dummified step by step type proceedure on how to do this. or show me the secret link to some instructions. Im very much a noob when it comes to working with wood and such, but i do find it to be very fun!

Thank you so much for any help!

At a guess, I'd say your first step should be to fill the existing cavity with a block of wood shaped to fit and glued in and sanded level with the guitar. Fill the screw holes too. Then you'll be able to route for the new trem without having to worry about adapting the existing holes for it. You may not need to fill the spring cavity though, which will make things easier.

After that, get out your ruler and measure it all out. Then make templates for the new route. Don't try to do anything freehand. Templates are your friend.

I don't know much about the Edge Pro though--maybe someone who knows the unit can tell you if there's any hope that it'll retrofit into the existing routes.

what type of guitar are you hoping to fit with the edge pro ?

Mickguard is right although if you had a routing template you would easily tell if you needed to fill the old trem block cavity or not.

chances are with that conversion that you dont have to fill it, many conversions are done from lo-trs to edge and they are not normally filled.

see here: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trs2lopro.htm

are you planning on routing a JEM style lions claw or having an RG type of square cavity on the front of the body ?

I also recomend if you fit the edge pro as opposed to the lo-pro edge, you get the locking studs for the trem posts.

do you own a router ?

Jaden

Hey, thanks for the replies!

Jaden:

The guitar body is from a Peavey Predator. Here is a picture of it:

s4020021oy5.jpg

s4020022qg8.jpg

(the horn in the second picture looks wierd cause i've sanded some of it away for easier fret access.)

I haven't decided about the RG or Jem style lion claw yet. I'm not sure i could pull off something like a the lion claw and have it turn out looking nice. But i would like the lion claw, and i might try to do it.

I don't own a router. And i don't really know much about them other than the prices on them vary from $20 to way over $200.

Can I find one that will do the job i need for cheap? Or should i try renting one from somewhere?

Where can I find templates?

you can get templates here http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/electricguitar.htm

but ive never used them, to be fair if you dont have a router then it may be more cost effective to find somebody to do the routing for you.

in my book, decent routers dont come for less than £130 and then you have to buy the bits which will be at least another £30. when you have a bit of experience with it then making templates is pretty easy, the lions claw should be a very easy one to produce. I dont know if routers can be rented as the only time I know someone did that was to fit their kitchen worktops... not really suitable!

I have a JEM schematic at home and if I get the time tonight I will match it up to a strat body to see what's what !

you can get templates here http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/electricguitar.htm

but ive never used them, to be fair if you dont have a router then it may be more cost effective to find somebody to do the routing for you.

in my book, decent routers dont come for less than £130 and then you have to buy the bits which will be at least another £30. when you have a bit of experience with it then making templates is pretty easy, the lions claw should be a very easy one to produce. I dont know if routers can be rented as the only time I know someone did that was to fit their kitchen worktops... not really suitable!

I have a JEM schematic at home and if I get the time tonight I will match it up to a strat body to see what's what !

cool thanks!

I think i may have used the wrong word for the trem in the title of this thread. i called the Edge Pro "floating" but i think it may be actually called a "locking" trem. Sorry! i have never owned a guitar with a trem in it before so i dont know very much about them! :D

Edited by ethan073

sure - floating - locking - double locking - dont matter, we know what you mean :D

but seriously, I dont mean to put you off but... even buying a new body that will already accomodate an edge pro trem is easier than converting the peavey body !

to be fair, I think (NOT KNOW) that the body will not require filling but....

Ive been a carpenter/joiner for years and I would approach this task with a great deal of care, im used to using routers to hang doors or make furniture.

this is a real different kettle of fish though and if I were you, I would consider other options before buying a router and getting busy on your guitar body !

sorry mate, I really dont want to put you off from doing it yourself as I believe that everything is possible.... but think about it - how often will you use those tools ? also, cheap routers are rubbish.

please feel free to ask a specific question but the whole "how do I" question coupled with the fact that you are a self confessed noob at woodworking hints at disaster and tears of misery for your peavey guitar body :D

if you are determined then get a router and DIY - practice a lot on scraps before going for it..

best of luck.

Jaden

well i wasn't planning on buying my own if it was going to cost me $250+

I beleive i know someone who has a nice router and was going to talk to them about it. But if i could have gotten a cheap one that would do the job i may as well have had one of my own for future use.

I dont mind having to fill in the hole and everything if thats what it takes. I'm just viewing this as a fun project to work on to gain a little insight for the next one i attempt. i only paid $50 for this thing (with the intent on trying to work on it) about a year ago, so i'm not going to be overly stressed out if i mess something up which i probably will somewhere along the way.

I was hoping there was a tutoral or something on this floating around somewhere that i just couldn't find.

assuming that i can get ahold of a router, i could just find the dimensions of the hole and get to work?

I don't quite understand the problem that the existing hole could present though since there will be an even bigger hole right there anyway?

but if you really dont think i could get it done though, i guess i should go with a wilkinson or something..

I certainly do not think that you cant do it !!!

if you can borrow a router then practice with it.

there are many sites outthere detailing how to use a router with internal and external templates, practice, practice, practice....

then I reckon you should either make yourself a template - I always use MDF - or buy yourself a template...

I would not like to put you off the idea of doing it yourself mate !!!

keep us updated with pics and ask me anything you need to about routers and their uses and also visit this site and download their routing guides...

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/libfiles/library.html

reading is great but dont forget to get a load of scrap wood and practice... :D