Les Paul Junior

Im building a les paul junior, and im not sure what truss rod to get. should i get the hot rod or the traditional truss rud from stewmac? also what length should i get? the fret board is just over 18 inches. (im new at this)

also, the design i have has only one pickup. should i stick with this or should i put in a second one?

the hot rod is usualy a good safe way to go unless you've made a couple of necks and you know what you're doing with a single action one, and you have confidence that you're neck blank won't bow out on you.

the standard length for guitar truss rods is 18", but if your neck is a tad short, you may look into trying to find a 17½" or 17" double rod

if you want a neck pickup then put one in :D

If you're building a singlecut LP junior, by all means add a neck pickup. If you're building the doublecut, be aware that you risk weakening the neck joint by adding a neck Pickup. On the current guitar I'm building I used the LP doublecut Junior body shape, but I shifted the neck so it joined the body 2 frets lower down - this gave me extra surface area on the tennon, and allowed for a neck pickup route without compromising strength and stability.

Listen to Setch, he knows what he's talking about. You don't need the truss rod to go that far. Just install it like the Stew Mac instructions tell you and it'll be ok.

how would i be able to adjust it though? because if its only 18 inches there will still be the extra 2 1/4 inches of wood in the way.

We'll if your building that style of guitar, your truss rod adjustment should be on the peghead. Some bolt-in guitars have the truss rod adjustment at the end of the neck which I personally hate. That's only because most of them have to be unbolted to be adjusted. So, on the Les Paul Jr your gonna want to put the truss rod adjustment at the peghead end, which will be hidden by a truss rod cover. If you reread the discussion link I gave it will make it alot clearer. Hope this helps.

Matt

We'll if your building that style of guitar, your truss rod adjustment should be on the peghead. Some bolt-in guitars have the truss rod adjustment at the end of the neck which I personally hate. That's only because most of them have to be unbolted to be adjusted. So, on the Les Paul Jr your gonna want to put the truss rod adjustment at the peghead end, which will be hidden by a truss rod cover. If you reread the discussion link I gave it will make it alot clearer. Hope this helps.

Matt

Yup, Guitarfrenzy is right. Since the neck will be set in. You won't be able to access a heel adjustable truss rod.

Also, I would plan on carving a volute in the neck. Since the recessed area for the truss rod nut and the angled headstock will be a huge loss to the rigidity of the headstock.

We'll if your building that style of guitar, your truss rod adjustment should be on the peghead.  Some bolt-in guitars have the truss rod adjustment at the end of the neck which I personally hate.  That's only because most of them have to be unbolted to be adjusted.  So, on the Les Paul Jr your gonna want to put the truss rod adjustment at the peghead end, which will be hidden by a truss rod cover.  If you reread the discussion link I gave it will make it alot clearer.  Hope this helps.

Matt

Yup, Guitarfrenzy is right. Since the neck will be set in. You won't be able to access a heel adjustable truss rod.

Also, I would plan on carving a volute in the neck. Since the recessed area for the truss rod nut and the angled headstock will be a huge loss to the rigidity of the headstock.

alright. thanx for the help guys. i got really scared last night when i was thinking about what i need to do next with the guitar. so ya, thanx for the help.