Colors

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Well, my website does suck...I am the first to admit it...cant fork out the cash yet....but I plan to soon. Hence, I didnt waste too much time on a site I will be scrapping in less than 3 months.

Are you planning on building guitars in hopes of selling them or do you have some buyers lined up already? If you're going to be selling them (no buyers yet), will you be selling them yourself, or are you going to take them to a guitar shop or something like that?

The reason I am asking is, the intended buyer could help you with many of these types of questions even if the buyer is not going to be the end-user (such as a guitar shop). They should at least be able to tell you what sells and what doesn't.

If you are planning on selling them on your own, I think having something unique can help. I'm not sure if a unique color or a unique feature is the better way to go but there has to be a reason why someone would want to buy your guitar and not a well known manufacturer.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Mostly custom stuff...user specified. But to get my name out there, I need to build some stuff. The store I deal with said tobacco burst and solid black...I'm more of a green, red, purple, ect guy

The store knows what sells - tobacco burst and black (trans or solid), however, that doesn't mean a green, blue, or red trans won't sell, it's just that traditional Gibson/Fender colors will always attract customers to try a new guitar, then if they like the playability/tone/etc, they'll look to see what else you have.

Human nature would be to grab the most familiar-looking guitar - a tobacco-burst or Fender-style 3-tone burst guitar shaped like a bottle opener will have a familiar look to it, and SOMEONE will try it. If they like it, then the physical difference becomes more appealing to them and they are more comfortable with stepping out of their "Gibson/Fender" color-schemes as well as their "traditional" body styles.

Definitely do trans black and tobacco burst, but don't just put those two in the store - put a red or purple or green in there as well. Maybe have the tobacco as a display only, not for sale? That way, if the color does catch the eye despite the shape, they can be directed to one of the more exciting colors and still be mentally open to the new experience.

Newc

It may be regional, but what's been selling around here (south central - Alabama) are fairly traditional bursts like cherry and tobacco and warmer colors like amber/yellow and "heritage" cherry, although I have been seeing some darker tigerseye and Gretsch oranges. The whale blue and "teal black" thing pretty much tanked around here, not much interest, and flat or oil finishes are nonexistent except on really expensive basses. The main thing I'm seeing is that finishes that exaggerate the figure of the top sell, while colors that detract from it don't, even if the tops aren't that great. I'd personally tend to try fairly light colors in the red to yellow spectrum to enhance the look of the maple, avoiding the primaries for more earthy tones like say topaz or burnt orange, but that's just me. Finish depth and quality are probably most important - I recently saw a PRS sell for large bucks that was faded to an olive green, but it had one of the most spectacular tops I've seen in years, and not a scratch on it. Go figure.

Thanx for the input. I will be doing some bursts soon, but the next one will be green lacewood wint black highlights...like a burmese python...pics soon. Thanx again everybody. Keep talking to me about what you like. Solids? Color changing irredescence paint, whatever.