The Stratocaster Is Done!

As with many things in life, all a matter of definition. ;-)

To some people, a "professional" is anybody who makes money at a certain task. On the other hand, other people ascribe other characteristics to a "professional," so it'll be different from person to person.

And the word "luthier" also has subjectivity to its definition. You made a guitar, and a dang fine one from what I can see. But until you have a high level of ability in all the related skills, there's wiggle room for debate. I'd personally call you a "guitar builder" rather than a luthier, but that's just my individual subjective definition. I also personally see luthiers as people with ability to build acoustic stringed instruments as well, but again-- all subjective.

Does that change anything? Not a thing. :D If you have a friend that's willing to pay you for your time and materials to build him a guitar, that strikes me as a pretty happy and satisfying moment, and any attached "labels" don't mean squat.

Greg

I'm as loose as a... er... piece of dangling overcooked spaghetti... er... or umm.... something else that seems really loose. :D

I need to make an avatar of Grimace REALLY flipping you guys the bird. :D

• 4 months later...

I like the Hipshot "baby-grand" bridge you used on the guitar. Quick question: did you have to pitch the neck severely to use this bridge? I wanted to use it on an upcoming build, but I need to do some extensive planning before ordering it and pitching the neck is ig enough challenge with the tools that I will have to work with.

Great job though!!!

mikevirok:

The neck has almost no angle to it at all so I wouldn't be worried about it.

At the end of the neck closest to the body, (the heel?), it's about 1/32" thicker than the other end of the neck that fits into the body. It gave it enough angle to make it very playable. I have the bridge studs raised about 1/2 of a turn to get the action right on where it's low and fast but not buzzing because it's too low.

Since it's my first build, I was worried that it would be wrong, but it is spot on now. After getting the frets level, the neck bow with the truss rod, (once rod was snug, it took less that a half of a turn), and the small adjustment on the bridge studs, she plays nice!

I took it to my family reunion because two of my cousins are MUCH better players than I and I wanted them to try it out and both of them loved it! One of them was scrambling to get stuff together to trade me for it. I could have gotten two Jackson guitars, both players and one is REALLY played, and a small amp for it. lol I wouldn't trade for it because I made it.

He does have a mahogany SG body he wants to work on and make a guitar out of but he doesn't have the tools or the woodworking knowlege to do so. I told him to ship it to me and I'd do it for him, but he hasn't done it as of yet.