Killswitch Install.. Help!

HumanFuseBen

Hey guys!

I have an Ibanez RG7421 that i want to do a couple things to...

1. remove the tone knob

2. replace it with a kill button, a momentary on/off switch

I think i got the right kind of switch... its rated 3A at 125VAC, 1.5A at 150VAC. It has a black button that is spring-loaded, and it has two lugs for soldering at the bottom.

If someone could give me some step by step basic instructions, i would dance at their wedding. Thanks!

Hey guys!

I have an Ibanez RG7421 that i want to do a couple things to...

1. remove the tone knob

2. replace it with a kill button, a momentary on/off switch

I think i got the right kind of switch... its rated 3A at 125VAC, 1.5A at 150VAC. It has a black button that is spring-loaded, and it has two lugs for soldering at the bottom.

If someone could give me some step by step basic instructions, i would dance at their wedding. Thanks!

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but seriously, this subject has been coming up a LOT lately. Have you tried searching? This is probably one of the easiest things to wire in a guitar and I can't understand why so many people are asking about it.

Anyway, you have two options: shorting or opening. It depends on how your switch is configured. Is it normally closed (NC) or normally open (NO)? For the NO variety, take out your tone pot and connect the lead that used to go to the tone pot to one side of your switch. Connect the other side to ground. For the NC variety, just stick the switch inline with your "hot" lead. Doesn't matter where really. I'd probably put it between the pickup selector and the volume pot, but that's just me.

Thanks for the response, fellas! I checked out some of the other topics, and call me slow (i was homeschooled)...but they don't make much clear sense to me. If someone could do a clear drawing or diagram of exactly what i need to do, or just spell it out for me like a retard, that would be perfect.

I prefer to do the Charleston. 23 skidoo!

hi HumanFuseBen, (scary name)

if you can follow a few simple directions, you won't need a special drawing.

if you can't, you shouldn't be messing with the wiring.

here is a link to a stock drawing of an RG 7421:

http://ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

connect one wire to the left terminal of the volume pot.

connect another wire to the middle terminal of the volume pot.

connect those 2 wires to your switch.

done.