Padauk And Wenge Fingerboards / Slotting Service

Jon

I used to come by some really amazing Cocobolo 2-3 years ago on Ebay from ron_joseph_guitars, it inspired me to use Cocobolo on my first build. After seeing this wood again, it was like a flash of nostalgia! So I'm very happy to offer the stuff and be using it on a project soon.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

I love flatsawn coco fretboards!!!! Those are some great pieces you got there, I can't to see what you do with them Jon. I'm using some a nice flatsawn coco fretboard on my current project with a bookmatched quartersawn headstock cap with sapwood at the edge. Anyhow, I can't see how those boards will be in your possesion long, they look way too amazing. I'm sending you an email BTW. J

Once the rain storm clears I'll have a shot of the rest of the Bubinga. I picked up some Wenge and Zebrawood today from Austin Hardwoods. Out of about 10,000+ boards, I found 3 that passed my fingerboard inspection of the species I was looking for. From the looks of it, I'll never have high volume for fingerboards. :D

Once the rain storm clears I'll have a shot of the rest of the Bubinga. I picked up some Wenge and Zebrawood today from Austin Hardwoods. Out of about 10,000+ boards, I found 3 that passed my fingerboard inspection of the species I was looking for. From the looks of it, I'll never have high volume for fingerboards. :D

How big are the Wenge boards? I'm still interested in a long (31"+) board if you've got one.

Hi Jon

Im looking for a piece of wenge for a 7 string bass project im planning atm so its needs to be

29" x 5" x 1/4"

and can you slot for 24 frets(+ a zero fret) on a 34" scale?

(i know that would only need about a 26" board but id like the excess 3" over at the 24th fret end for shaping into the body)

also im UK based so do you paypal so any idae what the total would be for a piece like that + slotting + shipping via usps air?

dam thats a lot of questions hehe but not to many i hope!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Gizmo

I paid a great deal more for the Wenge than I thought I would, I couldn't get a price up front until I actually paid for the board.

The price for a board that size would be about $80 with slotting and shipping not included. I'm sure you can find a better price out there for Wenge, but I'm happy to have the stuff. Well quartersawn Wenge is almost non-existent here.

I'll definitely keep you up to date if I find a more inexpensive source, I don't plan on buying Wenge from this place again so the prices will be lower the second time around. If I'm ever able to find well quartersawn Wenge that is. Here's a shot of the end-grain.

Wenge%20Board%201.JPG

Edited by Jon

This one was with about 2 or 3 other Wenge boards stacked beneath about 15 feet of boards. Saw 2 quartersawn Wenge boards total, the other one was 8/4 and would have cost a ton. But this goes the same for every lumberyard I go to, takes a lot of browsing to find what I want.

Thanks c.thep, I look forward to working on your order!

My bandsaw is out of service once again and I may not be able to resaw any more boards. So I'm down to about 35 fingerboards and a good 40 more that I can't resaw. I'll keep you guys up to date if I'm able to figure anything out.

I can't slot for it just yet, but I plan on having that template within the next two months. If you aren't in a rush, let me know.

The Bubinga board is $44.00 for 30" x 3 3/4" x 1". I recommend using it for fretless instruments since it's flatsawn.

Very cool! I actually have been checking the site each day after my homework, just so I could see how it turned out and today when I checked the store was up. I'm stoked for you Jon, hope everything goes really well. You definately have a good eye for very interesting wood, which is something that will bring in many people.

Can't wait to see how those cocobolo fboards turn out. The Zebrawood ones are very nice and I thought about it for minute, but the main body of my guitar is already zebra and it might be overboard, especially considering I will probably back strap the headstock with some zebra. Anyhow, thanks for the headsup, I will definately be keeping an eye on your stock. Thanks for the service. I saw knobs category up there as well, that will be interesting, nice wood knobs would be very cool. Best of luck. J